Spring Sports Preview: Varsity Baseball

A closer look at this years varsity baseball team.

The Potomac Falls varsity baseball team has not been as successful the last two years as they have been in the past. After losing in the first round of the Conference 14 tournament the past two years, the baseball team is ready to make a turnaround this year.

“I expect for this team to make a competitive run in the conference tournament, and maybe even have the chance to win it if we peak at the right time,” said senior Nick Sweger.

The team struggled with strikeouts at the plate last year and that is one of the major factors the team will be working on. Having offensive practices where the players face curveballs and having a two strike approach hopes to give the team an extra spark.

“I worked on hitting with two strikes in the off season. It’s something we needed to work on so that was my main focus,” said Sweger.

While the Panthers only have four seniors on the team, they have added two freshman to the roster to help increase their chances of winning.  

These talented freshman, Nate Savino and Jack Campbell, hope to help the pitching staff and allow them to gain experience playing at the varsity level.

“It’s a faster tempo and it’s a lot more competitive. I’m ready for the challenge though,” said freshman Nate Savino.

The team is ready to make a run for the Conference 14 championship and hope to have a very successful season.

The team’s first game is March 13 against Loudoun County High School at 6:00 p.m.