Las Vegas for minors

Shuffling cards, poker chips, and poker faces are all about to make an appearance at this year’s winter formal. Feb. 8 offers up twists to the cliche dance that often has poor attendance due to low school spirit. Casino Night, planned out by the Student Council Association, is likely to surpass the usual winter dance expectations.

Starting at 8 p.m. and ending at 11:30 p.m., Casino Night is far different than Homecoming. Doors close at 9:30 p.m. and tickets will not be sold at the door. This dance is semi-formal, giving it a relaxing and entertaining environment.

“Guys can be seen wearing khakis and a button-up, while girls a nice cocktail dress,” said SCA Sergeant at Arms, Robert Smith. The dance is split into two sections: a game area and a dance floor.

“The DJ that played at the Stone Bridge Homecoming, who had great reviews, will be playing music at Casino Night,” said SCA Vice President, Blane Hornung. In the cafeteria, drink and food stations can be found. The game section is comprised of blackjack and poker.

“The top eight poker players at 10 p.m. will play a game of champions. The first-place winner will receive an Ipad mini, and second-place will receive a fifty dollar Visa gift card,” said Hornung. Among these larger prizes, there are small rewards for other winners throughout the night.

Why should students attend this dance? The idea of Casino Night was to plan an event that students could not put together themselves, and to make the usually unappealing dance seem intriguing and worthwhile.

“This dance isn’t a part of the status quo. The black light dance [last year’s winter formal] is  easily compared to hanging out in someone’s basement,” said Hornung. Most dances involve trying to find someone to dance with, or attempting to find someone to mingle with while others take the dance floor.

“We wanted an environment where students can mesh without the awkward tensions,” said SCA Treasurer, Tyler Hooper. To add an even bigger twist to this dance, it was a Sadie Hawkins. This year, it was the girl’s turn to ask a guy to the dance in a creative way.

“We thought having a social change would make it fun and different,” said SCA Public Relations Liaison, Tessa Haas.

Dances may not be appealing to some, but who does not enjoy games? This year’s winter formal, rather semi-formal, could very well impress even the most skeptical of students.