The legend of Wayde Byard

How Loudoun County’s Public Information Officer came to fame

The legend of Wayde Byard

Each year, there seems to be a theme during the winter time.  A lot of snow, little snow, or just freezing rain.  Well this year’s theme appeared to come in a completely different form and that would be Wayde Byard. 

Wayde Byard is in charge of sending out a recorded call to each house in Loudoun County telling the anxious students that they do not have to go to school that day.  Lately, the students of Loudoun County Public Schools have been getting creative in showing their support of snow days.

With the use of Twitter, students have been creating Wayde-themed memes to create a little humor.

“I thought it was really funny how we thought the tweets would affect the decision,” said sophomore Garrett Lutkins. The Byard themed tweets could be found all over twitter.

“What is lcps WAYDE-ing for?” was one of the most popular tweets created by junior Maddie Thompson.

Others took a more artistic route in the Byard themed Twitter realm.

Junior Allison Engel posted a video on YouTube of a parody of Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”.  Engel’s version of the song pokes fun at Loudoun County schools not requiring students to take mid-terms due to the snow.

“Taylor Swift’s song came on the radio and I just start singing along and changing the lyrics,” said Engel.

The video has gotten over 2,600 views since being posted on YouTube Jan. 23.

“It’s been really cool having total strangers come up to me and be like ‘I saw your video and it was awesome,’” said Engel.

It seemed like students from every public high school within Loudoun County were trying to plead for Byard’s favor in of a snow day.

One of the most popular retweeted memes of Byard was his face photoshopped on the face of The Most Interesting Man in the World with the typical set up

There was even a parody account created on Twitter playing as Byard.  When someone tweeted about Byard the account would often come in and comment or favorite the tweet.

The account has amassed  over 1,400 followers.  The account often taunts the students when there is not a snow day.

“If you think you are getting a call you’re sadly mistaken,” said the account on Jan. 9.  A majority of the tweets from the account are witty pictures with Byard’s face photoshopped in replace of others’ faces.

Byard’s presence on Twitter entertained students across Loudoun County and created  somewhat of an excuse for the widespread procrastination on school work. Students of Loudoun County Public School will have to keep up the wittiness and creativity if they want more snow days next year.

These are some of the most popular memes of Byard found on Twitter.

images (1)png;base64d3a07be66a1e3c37Main_Wayde_meme1

images