From the classroom to the court

All throughout the year, the junior class can be seen participating in all kinds of fundraising events. There’s the conventional hot chocolate and candy canes before winter break, Valentine’s Day carnations, and even the Hogwart’s trolley. This year, the junior class will be putting together a student versus faculty basketball game.

On April 9, during third and seventh period flex, students and staff will have the opportunity to play or watch arguably one of the most competitive events this school has held. For all those that would like to attend, admission is $2 and all proceeds will go towards prom such as decorations, a DJ, snacks, and drinks. Junior class officers got this idea from the winter pep rally earlier this year.

“We saw how the teachers really got into the basketball rally game SCA constructed, and noticed how competitive the teachers and students got between each other,” said junior class vice president Tarina Ayazi. While nothing is set in stone, there are many teachers and students looking forward to participating.

“Mr. Ewald is captain for teachers and Mr. Jackson, Mr. Altman, Ms. Hoilman, and Mr. Jensen are playing,” said Ayazi. Along with these teachers, juniors Wanya Allen, AJ Robinison, Charlie Curtis, Matt Wasjgras, Sydney Sherman, and seniors Dominque White, Teal Reynolds, Garrett Pelto, and Zack Patrick plan to participate.

When coming up with fundraisers, it is important to keep the whole spectrum in mind.

“We were looking for something fun that would get the school involved and spirited considering it is the end of the year,” said junior class president Alia Haddad. The junior class officers were also hoping to make a memory of this occasion.

“We remembered how much fun they used to be back in middle and elementary schools so we thought it would be cool to start it off as a tradition here as well,” said Ayazi. Besides raising money for prom, the main goal is having a long-lasting memory.

“We only had seniors and juniors play because we wanted to make this a ‘privilege’ for the upperclassmen to have. If this event is a success, it’s something everyone will look forward to with the coming years, sort of like powderpuff,” said Ayazi.

The gym will surely be packed on April 9 in anticipation for the students v faculty basketball game. The junior class hopes for it to become more than another prom fundraiser.

“We hope to get our students more spirited and make them less stressed about testing and exams coming up,” said Haddad.