One last hoorah

Senior night: the bittersweet ending to high school sports

Senior+Brendan+Del+Prete+surveys+the+field+during+the+mens+lacrosse+teams+thrilling+victory+over+Tuscarora+on+senior+night.+

Senior Brendan Del Prete surveys the field during the mens lacrosse team’s thrilling victory over Tuscarora on senior night.

For senior athletes, senior night signifies the end of high school sports. It’s a chance to wear your home jerseys and play in front of a home crowd for the last time. For spring athletes, this night, this experience, has a magnified effect. There is no next season, next year, and often times, next game. It is an opportunity to walk with your parents down the track, court, or baseball diamond, have your name, years of participation, and other quirky facts read out by over the PA system, to help form one last hoorah.

Senior Danielle Darling is a four year, Varsity tennis member.

“Leading up to senior night I was both nervous, sad, and excited. I expected us to win, and we lost, which was disappointed but it was still a really great night. We walked out, all the seniors got roses, and there was pizza and a lot of food,” said Darling.

Regardless of the night’s outcome, she wouldn’t change any of it.

“Although I’m sad it’s all over, it’s a great way to conclude the high school chapter of my life as I head to college next year,” said Darling.

For senior Varsity lacrosse player, Philip Tsoi, senior night was truly a bittersweet feeling. “I’m injured, so I was forced to watch the game from the sideline, which was both depressing and frustrating, but I was still able to walk out with my parents and brother to be recognized in front of the crowd,” said Tsoi. Regardless of his contribution on the field, Tsoi definitely understood the significance of the night.

“Senior night is your last home game in your high school career. It’s sad to put the white jerseys on for the last time, but at the same time its a way of the younger players rallying around the seniors to get pumped up and get one final win for them on their home field,” said Tsoi.

The Panthers came out on top in narrow fashion against Tuscarora, leaving with a 17-14 win. Senior Brendan Del Prete was excited during senior nights preparations, but was cool as a cucumber once they began.

“During the game, all the tension faded away. But as the game came to a close, I was overcome with emotion because I knew it was the last time I would ever put on my home jersey,” said Del Prete.

Unlike lacrosse, the Varsity softball team has yet to host senior night. For seniors Emily Vayo and Kaitlyn Whitaker, there were plenty of mixed emotions.

“I am excited for senior night because it signals the end to a great career I’ve spent playing softball for our school. I’m not as sad as I thought I would be because I’ve had such a great time and I’m looking forward to graduation,” said Vayo.

For Whitaker, her softball career isn’t over just yet.

“I’m happy for senior night because it’s a day to celebrate all I’ve accomplished here, but at the same time I’m excited to be playing college softball next year at Emory and Henry College, where I’ll start a new era of my life,” said Whitaker.