Talk Derby to me

SCA decorates for a night to remember

A hardworking Student Council Association full of couples, siblings and good friends is full of excitement for the school year of 2015-16. Working since May to come up with a homecoming theme, SCA never seems to get a break.

“We get to school at six everyday, work until eight and then after school we work from four to six,” said senior Jackson Blodgett the secretary of SCA.

Starting in the spring, there have been many preparations for events such as tailgates, pep rallies, and especially homecoming.

“Before school even starts, we have probably spent 40 to 50 hours on homecoming,” said SCA sponsor  Alexandra Swinimer.

Homecoming planning consists of coming up with themes that are easy to do, creative and popular. Once a theme is decided, SCA needs all hands on deck in order to have their hallway decorated.

“With Ryan [Wells] as creative director, he has a real ‘vision’ which he is able to communicate to the rest of SCA and get them knowing what everyone needs to work on,” said Swinimer.

“Kentucky Derby just seems to be a popular and fun sporting event for everyone,” said senior and SCA Vice President, Raghu Srinivason.

This year’s theme has not been a difficult one to decorate for, yet SCA’s greatest concern is making sure the students understand what is being presented.

“The Kentucky Derby may not be as well known as something like Pixar, yet it always amazes me how the school is transformed the night of the dance into our theme. Our main goal is to give students something to look forward to as they head into the dance,” said Swinimer.

The student body of Potomac Falls High School is always excited when a new school year comes around, especially when it comes to pep rallies, hallway decorating and homecoming. Every year students get a different take due to the new group of kids and their ideas incorporated into SCA.

“Every year I always get so upset knowing I’m going to lose such a great group of kids and every year I get another wonderful group of kids that I know will make the new school year a great one,” said Swinimer.