Dr. Noto’s Neighborhood

A new approach at increasing school spirit

In order to increase the spirit of Potomac Falls, Principal Dr. Liz Noto has decided to prioritize the community. Many exciting events were planned over the summer for students and staff. In past years the spirit of Potomac Falls has decreased, taking our sense of community with it. The reputation was ruined as people turned their view to new schools out west.

“My goal at the end of this is that we can reestablish ourselves as a pillar in this community and to be seen as a place that still gives back to the greater community,” said Noto.

In order to fix this pressing matter, events have been planned throughout the year to strengthen the community within the school, while doing the same for the outside community.

“In October, we have Fair at the Falls, so free, family fun,” said Noto. “Then, in November we have Submit a Selfie week where you talk about what makes you unique.”

Events like these will be occurring three times a semester and will help to bring the entire school together. Tightening the community all around the school will benefit everyone involved; students, staff and parents.

“I think it’s good that they’re focusing on the community instead of ourselves,” said senior Emily Gillis. “It’s good to be [thinking about the] big picture.”

While Gillis hasn’t noticed many changes yet, big events are coming up. These events will get the parents involved as well as students, which math teacher Ms. Lisa Beezer believes will be good for the whole school.

“Anytime you get parents involved in school, or sports, or anything, think that benefits everyone,”  said Beezer.

Later in the year, there will be a “One to the World” expo, geared specifically towards parents, so they can see what’s going on in the classrooms. The community building hasn’t only been occurring during the school year; the teachers began community building events before school started. During the teacher work days before school, not only did the teachers complete many necessary tasks, like planning lessons and decorating classrooms, they also helped to build community by making donations to local animal shelters and Loudoun’s Habitat for Humanity. All of these events were modeled off The Amazing Race where teachers and staff had to run around the area in teams, finding different items and completing their opening procedures to earn awesome prizes, which included gift cards to many restaurants as well as gym memberships.

“I thought the Amazing Race was a nice twist on the pre-school stuff we had to do,” said Beezer.

“We got a signed puck from the Capitals and a signed picture from the Redskins,” said Noto.

While the prizes were a bonus, the main goal was to form friendships with teachers from other departments that the staff may not have met otherwise.

“It was kind of reminiscent of team building [from] when you were younger,” said Beezer. “Now, we’re friends on Facebook.”

The goal is that by the end of the school year, the school will have reemerged as a place where parents will want to send their kids, students will be proud to attend, and teachers will want to work.

“It’s been a great opening so far, and I hope we can keep it going,” said Noto.