Homecoming or No-Coming?

Mixed Emotions For Homecoming Week

Homecoming week, with its locker decorating, dance, football game, and pep rally, is a very celebrated tradition. However, this year many students have mixed feelings about living up to the expectations.

“Homecoming week has a great energy,” said Mr. Bob Sponaugle. “I love to see all the kids dressed up… and everyone participating in the spirit days.” Sponaugle claims homecoming week is a fun time for both the students and the administration and fills Potomac Falls with spirit. Freshman Eddie Perez and sophomore Sofia Lunde agree, and are excited to see what homecoming week has to offer.

Many students’ favorite part of homecoming week is the homecoming dance. “I’m really excited for the dance, [it’s fun] to be with my friends,” said Perez.

“I love dancing [at homecoming]. I think it will be special this year because I’m going with a group of friends and they’re going to try to make homecoming even better than last year… [and] last year’s homecoming was really fun,” said Lunde.

The competitive nature of spirit week can cause some drama, but many students say not to worry. “I want to win [spirit week], but I also want to have fun… I think that homecoming spirit week brings classes together… it doesn’t have to be [a rivalry],” said Lunde.

“[My favorite part of homecoming week is how] everyone’s going all out for the spirit week,” said Perez. Both students ensured that the competition was friendly. They believe that everyone participating in showing spirit for Potomac Falls helps bring everyone together as a school.

Many students are clearly very excited to express their spirit or have fun at the dance; however, there are some who aren’t as interested in homecoming week.

“I’m not too excited about homecoming week, to be honest… I’m not going to the dance or participating in the spirit days,” said senior Jack Shangraw.

“[The dance is] crowded, there’s bad music, it’s loud… it’s just not my idea of a good time,” said Shangraw.

“The spirit days [this year] are too hard… I’m only [participating in] two,” said junior Tiffany Pham, another student not planning on attending the dance.

While Pham and Shangraw definitely see room for improvement in homecoming week, Sponaugle stands by it proudly, saying that he doesn’t have a least favorite part of homecoming week. However, he thinks it would be more fun if more students were involved.

“What would make [homecoming week] better, would be if I saw more people participating in all the costumes and participating in the spirit days,” said Sponaugle.
 Although some may not enjoy homecoming week as much as others, it definitely gives Potomac Falls Panthers “a little extra energy,” said Sponaugle.