Out With The Old and In With The New

What the class of 2017 should know about taking each versions of the SAT or the ACT

Olivia Miller, Staff Writer

With no guessing penalty, shorter time spent testing, and an optional essay, the new version of the SAT hopes to make the test more straightforward and fair for the class of 2017 and below. In spring of 2016, The College Board will be making content, format, and scoring changes to the SAT. The redesigned test will engage content that mirrors the kind of reading and math that students will become familiar with in college and so on in their future.

“I am going to be taking both versions of the SAT. I took the old [SAT] because I wanted to see where I was at with everything and I’m taking the new one because most colleges are now accepting that one and also because I heard it’s easier,” said junior Maya Thompson, who has already taken the old SAT twice and  plans to take it once more in March, when the new SAT is released.

Many people, especially students and teachers, have different opinions on whether or not the class of 2017 should take the old version of the SAT. The career center assistant, Maryann Ottenberg says, “If I were a student, I would only take the new SAT. It just makes sense to me, especially if you will need to test a few times, why spend the money and time on the old test? Just be sure to realize that colleges will not superscore the test if you take both [the old & new SAT].”

On the other hand, according to The College Board, it is best for the class of 2017 to take the old version of the SAT while they can for many reasons. Not only can students ask older classmates for tips and strategies, but there are more than 20 real SAT tests released by The College Board in order for you to practice. Most advice regarding test taking, especially online, applies best to the old SAT.

“I think you should take both versions of the SAT even if the colleges you apply to only take the new one because it’s good practice and get a feel for the testing facility also. Some colleges do take either one, so it doesn’t matter which one you take,” said Thompson.

“The new SAT is only for juniors and below, so that’s why I didn’t take the new version. Even if I were given the opportunity, I would probably still stick to the old version of the SAT rather than the new and the ACT, because the old version is more widely accepted,” said senior Collin Ryan.

Well, according to Ottenberg, both tests are widely accepted. “The ACT is and always has been more ‘classroom based content’ focused and usually includes science questions including earth or environmental science, and biology. The SAT includes critical thinking questions, however. We are told the new SAT will mirror the ACT format a bit,” said Ottenberg.

Therefore, class of 2017 has truly lucked out being able to take both versions of the SAT in order to get a feel for both and whaimages (1)t test they are best at. It is encouraged for today’s juniors that are given the opportunity to take the current SAT, to do so as soon as possible.  “Do your research, go to the websites and see which tests is best for you. Again, for complete information regarding both tests, including test examples and format, tutorials and registration, go to  www.actstudent.org or www.sat.org,” said Ottenberg.