Practice Room

So many teams not enough space

We have many winter sport teams here at Potomac Falls, which the student body and staff are equally proud of.

However the amount of space the teams

receive varies the swim team only have four lanes whereas basketball has three gyms and gymnastics only gets one gym. This for some teams makes practicing difficult.

“There are too many people”, said senior Megan Weidman from swim team who has to share four lanes among 40 people.

“The four lanes are given to us by the county i have no say in that”, said Athletic Director Sipe. Letting us know that the space is not debatable unless someone takes further action and speaks to the county.

“No it’s not cramped”, said freshman Peter White from freshman basketball who has a whole gym for his team.

“The aux gym is a good fit for us, because we don’t usually take out all four events”,said sophomore Lindsay Gallagher from gymnastics. If they did set up all four events“it would fit but it would be really tight”,said Gallagher.

Seeing that the winter sports all receive varying amounts of space we may need to look at some priorities and decide if the basketball teams need to practice everyday and take all of the gym space or if they could take off a day or two to give other teams some room.  

The problem is all teams are indoor therefore we cannot accommodate the practice needs.

To put it plainly “we’re limited for space”, said head athletic director Mike Sipe.

Swim team wanted a dry land space and had to speak to “ the athletic director, the assistant athletic director, as well as the principals”, said swim coach April Meyer to get space.

Hopefully in the future we will be able to fit all our teams comfortably, being that we are one of the richest counties in the United States.