Delete The Adjectives, and You’ll Get the Facts

Review of Harper Lee’s novel, To Kill a Mockingbird

Olivia Miller, Staff Writer

Not only have I read the book five times since freshman year, it is a book that I know I will continue reading every chance I get, and a book I hope to share with my children one day. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee analyzes racism through the eyes of young children, living in a small southern town. A timeless classic American novel, every word not only has such meaning behind it, it holds a different meaning to each and every reader.

Set in the 1930s, right after the Great Depression hit American people were full of prejudice and judgements. Jean Louise Finch, better known as Scout, is born right into it all. Her only saving grace was the wonderful and genuine man, Atticus Finch, her father. Atticus was certainly no macho man protagonist but he was kind, honest, had wonderful morals and was inspirationato_kill_a_mocking_birdl. His words and actions impacted his children throughout the novel, especially when Atticus is asked to defend Tom Robinson, a black male accused of rape.

Regardless of age, race, or gender, this book will impact you in ways no other book can. It will make you feel. It will make you change the way you think about the world. Although it sounds cliche, this book will inspire you to change the way you treat others. I would most definitely give this book 5 stars.