Coffee and Chill

Students demonstrate talents at first event of the year

Coffee House, Potomac Falls’ version of an open-mic night, began nine years ago.   This event gives students the opportunity to perform and express themselves. This year’s first Coffee House will take place on Friday, Oct. 21. at 5 p.m. in the cafeteria.  “Coffee House was started when the guitar president at that time had a idea for an event to showcase our individual students in a concert setting that wasn’t like our regular spring or winter concerts,” said Hart Wells, guitar teacher.  

“The goal behind Coffee House is an opportunity for our students to be able to express their true passions and interest.” This event allows the performers a chance to interact with the audience in a more relaxed way.  “When they are  in guitar, it’s me handing out music and us working on it together.  This is the students demonstrating who they are as guitarists without any kind of interference,” said Wells.

With 12 acts slated to take the stage, guitarist Juan Rey Rubio is performing solo this year. “It’s a good way to get people to support the guitar program, and I just like to play in front of people,” said Rubio. All the types of music that students like have an opportunity to be showcased at one event. “We’ve got everything from some original compositions to covers of really known rock tunes like ‘Stairway to Heaven’.  There’s [even] going to be some EDM,” said Wells.

Every performance is different in its own way. “It’s diverse. Everybody has a type of music they like and I try to show them something different,” said Rubio. Besides his own performance, he likes to watch Suburbia, one of the only bands performing.

Junior Ethan Farmer,  a member of the band Suburbia, is looking forward to taking the stage and enjoys “performances that are cool and unique.”

In addition to giving students a platform to express themselves, the funds raised also benefit the guitar department. “The money goes towards our spring trip to New York City, to save our students money that are going,” said Wells.

“I hope a lot of people will be there,” said Farmer.