One Last Hurrah

This Friday is Senior Night for the Potomac Falls Football and cheer team, they’ll be escorted onto the field by their parents and recognized for their time playing for our school. “Before the football game we’ll announce the seniors at about 6:45 to 6:50, and say a few things about each of them” says Athletic Director Mike Sipe.

Katie Curtis, who has been cheering since her freshman year, is excited and will always think of cheerleading as one of her favorite memories in high school.  A tradition of the cheer team is to have the seniors fly in a stunt, and while she is looking forward to being a flyer, she hopes she won’t get emotional and cry too much as she cheers at a home game for the last time.  “It’s really sad, but I’m okay with it because it’s a new chapter and a new beginning.”

Matt Macioce is sad to be leaving as well, but hopes the team will finish at the top.  He’s ready to walk out with his family and share that moment with them, and when asked what he is going to miss the most about his time on the Potomac Falls Football team Macioce said, “Probably the family aspect, and just walking out on that field with my brothers.”

Looking back on his four years playing football, Josh Legarda believes that while it was a rough start, Coach Allen built their team up, and Coach Barns was able to maintain what he built. As a result, this is their best season so far. He is both excited and upset that this is his last year.  “These are the last times I’ll be able to wear this jersey and be able to play this game with my friends in high school” says Legarda.

Alyssa Wooten believes that the team has grown a much stronger bond than when she started cheering, and will find it hard to say goodbye.  “Our relationships are getting better, I look at the other cheerleaders as my sisters sometimes,” says Wooten.

The same can be said for the football team. “We play more as a team, and I feel like we’ve come together as more of a family,” says Macioce.

Fatheads of the players and cheerleaders have been ordered by Ms. Ryman and Ms. Tessman, and the student section will hold them while cheering the team on.  Senior Night will be bittersweet, and saying goodbye to the Seniors is going to be hard, but the game will be full of traditions to celebrate and honor their dedication to their team and our school.