Winter sports preview: Boys’ Freshmen and Junior Varsity Basketball

A behind-the-scenes look at this year’s teams

Basketball season has just begun and our freshmen and junior varsity (JV) players. The boys are practicing hard in preparation for their first games on Dec. 6 against Marshall High School.

This year’s freshmen players are Markel Dillard, Keith Robinson, Renzon McCleary, Justin Harrison, Jalen Coker, Karl Holsomback, Landon Hawes, Carter Morris, Malik Moses, Aaron Cavezza, and Jack Groscup. They are being led by Coach Frederick whom has several expectations for the team as he does every year.

“I am always most excited for being around the players and spending time with them everyday. It’s always fun getting to know them better and learning about their lives outside of basketball,” said freshmen coach Casey Frederick

The most important thing about playing with a team is team work. Working together and helping each other is the best formula to win a game.

“We want to work towards getting better everyday and improving on playing together.  Learning about and being a part of a basketball program with such a rich tradition and history is something I think the boys are excited about, too.We obviously want to be successful and win a lot of games, and I think we have a good group of players to be able to do that as well,” said Frederick.

With their first game approaching, this year’s players are eager to hit the court for their first high school game.

“It’s my first year playing high school basketball, and I’m excited to help the guys out with everything they need,said McCleary, point guard.

Everyone has humble beginnings. Coming into high school playing basketball for the first time may be a bit scary to some, but to others, it’s like being welcomed home. That’s just the case for freshman Landon Hawes, the varsity boys basketball coach’s son.

“Since my dad coaches, it always encourages me to get better,” said Hawes, forward.

While the freshman team is just getting started, the JV team has more experienced players who are coming off last year’s freshman team record of 16-3.  This experience will help them transition into facing stiffer competition.    

Many of this year’s players are moving up from the freshman to JV team.

“I am excited to be playing with my friends again on the team this year, and I’m excited for the big away games,” said sophomore Peter White.

The adrenaline rush comes for players begins early before the game and continues even after it’s over.

“Before, during, and after the game, I always continue to stay focused,” said White.

The team’s schedules are found on their websites:

Freshmen: http://potomacfallsathletics.org/main/teamschedule/id/20887/seasonid/4169693

JV: http://potomacfallsathletics.org/main/teamschedule/id/20886/seasonid/4169691