Winter Sports Preview

The 2016 winter cheer team

Olivia Miller, Co-Editor-In-Chief

After not being a sport for many years, winter cheer is back and better than ever as they once again cheer on the sidelines of the Potomac Falls’ basketball team.

“This team is a very special group of girls. We have a lot of fun at practices, but we also work hard. The girls learned 15 cheers in about two practices and they are excited to learn more. They have a lot of desire to do well and it is showing,” said head coach Jami Leap.

Although winter cheer does not compete, many of the participants have high hopes of getting better at their cheers, stunts and jumps in order to prepare for the fall season next year. Freshman Michelle Moreno is cheering for the first time and has many aspirations for this season and the seasons to come.

“When we practice, we pretend we’re in a real game-setting, so we can get the feel for what game time will be like. Because it’s winter cheer, we don’t compete. It’s just sideline cheer,” said Moreno.

After not having a team for over two years, the winter cheer team is once again thriving with 15 participants and two managers.

“I believe that the main reason it is a sport again is because the interest has grown. A few of my cheerleaders from the fall have returned and we got the word out early so that people would get excited for cheer. We hope to get the crowd and basketball players energized during the game and get a win,” said Leap.

Good luck to the team as the continue on with their season.