Standing Together

Students stage walkout to protest Trump’s immigration ban

Students stand in the bleachers with signs to promote equality. Because of recent government mandates, students felt the need to express their disapproval of measures such as the travel ban and plans for border wall.

In a response to the current presidential agenda, including a recent ban on traveling from certain predominantly Muslim countries and the promise of a wall being built between the United States and Mexico, students at various schools across Loudoun County organized a walkout. Their goal was to peacefully show their disagreement with these ideas while uniting among themselves.

“This is not a protest; it is simply allowing people to come out and say what they mean,” said senior Majd Abo Daher, who coordinated the Potomac Falls walkout.

“Oftentimes when protests happen, [parents] don’t appreciate when their kids are going into a dangerous environment; however, we had planned it in school so each group could take part. This is important because the message it spreads is different; it allows others in the school to see how different it would be if it weren’t for those immigrants. Some of their friends and even teachers [would be gone],” said Abo Daher.

After seeing the idea for the walkout through a group chat Abo Daher became the unofficial leader of the event along with fellow senior Ethel Amaya.

“They [administration] told us that we were going to be in charge of it. They also told us that there would be consequences, but I really didn’t care about the consequences. They told us we could do it, but if anything happened it would fall on me,” said Amaya.

Despite the consequences, an estimated 122 students assembled the bleachers during the final block of school to show their unity in the fight for equality and their refusal to accept the racism that has been prevalent in today’s society.

“As an immigrant, I see this as a very important topic that anyone could [support], not just immigrants themselves. I would rather take the consequence than [do nothing] without a consequence. And [I would rather] walk out than stay in school and be afraid because this is enhancing my personality more than it’s harming it,” said Abo Daher.

Students that participated in the walkout had to serve detention at a time of their choosing because though the event was approved by administration, they still were defying school rules by leaving the building during the school day.  This threat of punishment didn’t deter the dozens of students that showed up with signs and their determination.

“I think a lot of people were happy to be a part of something bigger and I think using school was a good platform for that. There are so many different, diverse people in this school. I think it just brought a lot of people closer together and just [helped them] think of the big picture that everyone is equal,” said sophomore Natalie Brennan.