Welcoming the rookies

Freshmen anticipate their first homecoming and share what they expect

Homecoming is a time of new experiences for the freshmen and can leave questions.  Some are looking forward to the dance and some just cannot wait until the dinner.

“I heard you’ll either love it or be really bored,” said freshman Brendan Willett. Freshmen have obviously never experienced Homecoming but know the basics of what to expect.  There is a classic three step process to Homecoming that most people, including the freshmen, will adhere to; pictures, dinner, then the dance. Though there is a lot to do, there is more to Homecoming than Homecoming day itself.  The whole week is a part of the festivities that come with this special time of year.

“I heard spirit week is a ton of fun,” said freshman Chad Bessette, “My plan is to be one of the toy soldiers for Pixar Day.”  Spirit week is a time for each class to show its pride and for the freshmen to show the rest of the school that they can play along too.  From music genre day (freshmen have reggae) to Pixar day (freshmen have Toy Story), there are plenty of ways the new comers can show their spirit before the pep rally on Friday in hopes of winning Homecoming week.

The pep rally is the grand finale to the week ,and at the same time the set up to the next day.  This will be the freshmen’s second pep rally so the shock of the “sit down freshmen” chant roaring through the gym will have calmed.  The traditional tug-of-war is a staple of the homecoming pep rally.  As it may be obvious, the seniors dominate this game, but the freshmen are optimistic. “All we gotta do is try and see what happens,” said Bessette.

After the whole week of build up and anticipation, Saturday is the  Homecoming dance.  “I’m going to go in a group with my friends,” said freshman Mallory Levenhagen.  Going with a group means the obvious picture taking.  After the pictures have been taken and the parents are satisfied, the freshmen are off for dinner.  “My group is just going to go to Ledo’s for dinner,” said Bessette.  Not every group needs a $30 dollar filet mignon to enjoy Homecoming.

Finally, the dance.  After walking down the dark hall covered in black sheets, the freshmen will make their way into the main gym with the sights and sounds of Homecoming.  Bleachers rolled back and the floor filled with 1,000 plus students dancing to whatever gets the juices pumping in an adolescent. From Rihanna to Psy, the DJ will give the freshmen something to work with on the dance floor.

Homecoming is a special part of the year for the school and every grade.  For the freshmen, the new experience should be one that is remembered and enjoyed.