One final time

Seniors discuss their last homecoming plans

As the night, or afternoon in some ladies’ case, starts, teenagers anxiously await the
night where you slip on that ‘one’ dress you have been searching for, or look for that tie that
perfectly matches the suit.
Homecoming is a tradition that has long been held at most high schools across the
United States and Potomac Falls is no exception. For seniors, it is their last time to dress up for
a fun night out with their high school friends. Some have attended all four years while others
have never attended one at all. Senior Hannah James will be attending Homecoming for the first
time her senior year, nonetheless, she looks forward to the dance. “I’m excited about just getting
dressed up. I’m not so big on the dancing,” said James.
A popular choice among seniors who choose not to go to the dance is to get dressed up
and have their own get together. Senior Nick Lutkins plans on dressing up, taking pictures, and
going to dinner with his friends, but does not plan on attending the dance itself. Senior Bill
Koepsell however, says the dance is one of the many things he looks forward to. “I personally
love the dance and I look forward to dancing a ton this year,” said Koepsell.
While there are many exciting parts to Homecoming, when asked what their overall
favorite part about the experience was, the seniors had different responses. “My favorite part is
always the last song you hear before you leave because, especially because its senior year, you
think about all the memories and it’s so fun to have that experience with your friends,” said
senior Danielle Darling. Lutkins’ favorite part is taking pictures with his friends and dressing up.
“My [favorite] things are the fanciness and how formal everything is and how you ask someone to
Homecoming,” said Koepsell.
After the dance, while some go home or to the popular late night diner IHOP, others may
have other plans. “My friends are ditching after a bit to go hang out at Reston Town Center, so
I’m more excited about the after part,” said James. Other options that are popular amongst teens
are cosmic bowling, bonfires, and watching movies.
When it comes to planning and coordinating, most seniors said it was easier this time
around. “Nowadays I know who I’m going to be with before Homecoming. I don’t have to find a
group because I have my friend group I’ve made throughout high school,” said Koepsell. “It has
gotten a lot easier to plan, especially since we went to PF Changs for dinner sophomore to
senior year,” said Darling. James, who has never been to Homecoming, said compared to prom
it is just as hard. “It’s pretty complicated because some people want to be in your group and you
have to say no.”
As seniors, this Homecoming will be the last one they will ever attend in high school. “I’m
going to miss the spirit week competition because I go hard on those,” said Koepsell. Other
seniors will be missing the night of the dance specifically. “I’m going to miss the whole process
from buying the dress to getting ready, pictures, and the dance,” said Darling.