Healthy Habits To Go Into the New Year With

As 2022 comes to an end, here is a compilation of more realistic resolutions that can help start 2023 off right.

With 2022 wrapping up, 2023 presents a new opportunity to make new memories and achieve new accomplishments. However, many go into the new year with goals that are unattainable and difficult to follow, resulting in them being forgotten about and discarded fairly early into the new year. Here is a list of more manageable habits that can be curated over 2023, that require simple switches and will help improve overall your quality of life:

Start volunteering – Having so many community based clubs at PFHS provides excellent opportunities for students to make a difference in their communities. Volunteering can provide students with valuable experiences, as well as hours to add to their resumes. Whether it’s donating food to a food drive or helping at an assisted living facility, volunteering can be a significant way to spread positivity. 

Clear out clutter – It’s easy to add new things to your wardrobe, but in order to maintain space in your home, it’s important to clear out things that aren’t being used. Whenever adding something new to your closet, make an effort to get rid of something worn more infrequently. This will ensure maximization of space, and in addition, any clothes you donate will help protect the environment and make a difference for the less fortunate in the community. 

Reach out to family and friends – The holidays can provide a perfect opportunity to reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to in awhile. Whether it’s an old friend or grandparent, checking in on someone can be a great way to make their day and reestablish old friendships. 

Eat breakfast in the morning – A large portion of high students are plagued by late nights spent studying after long days at school and after school extracurriculars. This can lead to rushed mornings, meaning many students don’t get a chance to eat breakfast in the morning. Studies show that eating breakfast can increase mood, attention span, concentration, and overall performance in school. While it might take some time out of your morning, eating breakfast before school is an easy habit that can help start your day off right. 

Balance schoolwork and studying with things you like – As the first semester ends, it’s easy to become overwhelmed with endless amounts of schoolwork. However, going into this new year, find the importance of prioritizing the things you like and work to make time for them. Being a good student doesn’t necessarily mean studying 24/7, you can still do the things you enjoy as long as you find a healthy balance that works for you.

Stay on top of deadlines – Turning work in on time can help ensure that you stay on track of your workload and don’t fall behind. Leaving work to the last minute can make them harder to get done, so try to tackle larger assignments little by little to ensure they get done by your next deadline. 

Prioritize sleep – Another habit that is easier said than done, prioritizing sleep can be extremely beneficial to students’ performance in school, which can increase productivity. Busy afternoons and constant schoolwork can make it difficult to find time for sleep, but taking the time to get a full 8 hours can boost your overall mood and help you feel better throughout the day. 

Set attainable goals – Whether in your school or personal life, realistic goal setting can help you achieve all the things you want to accomplish, and give you something to work towards. Goals can expand your skill set, increase your knowledge and boost your academic performance. Next time you find yourself with an idea for the future, come up with a time frame and a plan to work towards achieving it.