Put Your Money Where Your Brain Is

As the class of 2023 starts making decisions about college questions may arise about how to obtain and apply for the plethora of scholarships available to students. Here are a few you may consider based on the amount of time you have or where your interests lie. 

Parents, teachers, and counselors alike love to harp on the importance of scholarships, and it’s easy to see why they do. There is tons of money laying around ready to be used by deserving students who are trying to pay for an education. For some, earning scholarship money is the difference between getting a college degree or not. 

QUICK AND EASY

Yes, there really do exist scholarships out there for anyone. Even someone who does not necessarily want to write another 250 word essay. 

Niche “No Essay” Scholarship

Niche is a college informational website that understands who students’ minds work. So much so that they created a scholarship that has minimal steps required. All students need to do is sign up for the Niche website and they will become eligible for up to $2,000 in scholarships. The link to sign up and apply is here.

“Be Bold” No Essay Scholarship

There are plenty of scholarship opportunities for those who have had enough of the essays. Bold.org houses scholarship money for students who they believe are bold enough to make change in the world. The award will go to one student and is worth $25,016. The link to apply is here.

Scholarship Points Monthly 

You can be entered into this $2,500 monthly scholarship just by signing up for the Scholarship Points website. By signing up, you will also gain access to other scholarship opportunities that will range in price and difficulty. The link to apply is here.

Cappex “Easy Money” Scholarship

The name explains it best, this scholarship may be some of the easiest money you ever earn. There is no essay requirement or minimum GPA requirement, which is a unique find when signing up for scholarships. The link to enter is here.

SCHOLARSHIPS FOR A GOOD CAUSE

Lots of organizations have scholarship funds for different causes. For students who feel passionate about a certain issue, a scholarship for a good cause will give you the opportunity to write about something you truly care about. 

Love Like Adam Scholarship

This scholarship is open to any LCPS student, but is close to the hearts and minds of the Potomac Falls community as we continue to mourn the death of Adam Oakes, a 19-year-old Potomac Falls graduate who was killed in a hazing incident at VCU in 2021. A scholarship was created in his name for students who are empathetic, connected, and good listeners. 3 scholarships will be awarded at $1,500 each and any student who wants to apply must be nominated by a teacher. The link to have a teacher nominate you can be found here.

Yale Bassett Award for Community Engagement

Yale’s Center for the Study of Race, Indigeneity, and Transnational Migration holds the opportunity for a high school junior who demonstrates “a record of creative leadership and public service, academic distinction, interdisciplinary problem solving, and experience addressing societal issues including, but not limited to, race and racism,” according to the website. The website to apply can be found here.

Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship

This scholarship provides an opportunity for minority high school seniors to apply. Some requirements include being a graduating, minority high school senior, a United State citizen who presents evidence of financial need. The application to apply can be found here.

SPECIFIC SCHOLARSHIPS

There is a scholarship for anyone, maybe more so if you have a specific talent or interest that makes you stand out. 

Loudoun Association of School Librarians Scholarship

For LCPS students who plan on majoring in education, the Loudoun Association of School Librarians is providing the opportunity to apply for a scholarship. Students must be recommended by a librarian or teacher in LCPS and recommendations can be emailed directly to [email protected] for further information about this scholarship.

The Society of the Cincinnati Essay Contest

Students who are going to a college or university with Virginia has the opportunity to apply for this essay contest scholarship. 4 awards are given for between $4,000-$6,000. The prompt for the essay is “an essay written for the benefit of someone who has never studied the American Revolution and should address the influence that the Proclamation of 1763 had on its beginning.” Specific requirements for this essay include “The essay must be typed, one sided, double spaced with one-inch margins on 8 ½ x 11-inch paper. All quotations or paraphrases must be appropriately cited in the footnotes. Two (2) copies of the essay must be mailed with a completed application form to: Mr. Frank T. Sutton, IV, 1209 Balustrade Boulevard, Richmond, VA 23226 by Friday, March 10, 2023.” 

Master Singers of Virginia Scholarship

One award of $1,000 is granted to students who plan to study in the field of vocal music, which may include vocal performance, choral conducting, or choral music education. Applications for this scholarship may be submitted to Master Singers, PO Box 661, Ashburn, VA 20146 by the deadline date of March 28, 2023.

Dr. Juergen Reinhardt Memorial Scouting Scholarship

For any student who is an active member of the Boy/Girl Scouts of America and has demonstrated a committed interest in their education and community is eligible to sign up for this $1,000 scholarship.The Application is to be sent to: Selection Committee, Dr. Juergen Reinhardt, 201 Wildman Street, NE, Leesburg, VA 20176 by March 28, 2023.

For students who are not citizens of the U.S., but still want to apply for scholarships, there is a wide range of scholarships that you can still apply for. These include the TheDream.US scholarship program, which will award money to students who attend a partnering school, and can be awarded $12,500 for an associate’s degree and up to $25,000 for a bachelor’s degree.

Additional scholarship websites can be found on the Potomac Falls counseling website, and seniors should be sure to check their email frequently for scholarship opportunity emails from the College and Career Center. Deadlines are approaching, and organizing which scholarships you want to apply for can save you lots of time and maybe some money too.