Brynn Hunter is Taking Her Shot at it, On and Off the Basketball Court

Photo by: Angelina Lam

Sophomore Brynn Hunter is a star player on the Girls Varsity Basketball team in the winter, and runs for the Varsity Girls Cross Country team in the fall. Outside of sports, Hunter is a member of DECA and Sources of Strength. 

Hunter’s basketball career began when she was just five years old playing for the Upward League. During her time in the Upwards League, Hunter learned the basics of basketball. Later in third grade, she joined the Loudoun Flight travel basketball team, which will soon transition over to Team Attack. During her freshman year, Hunter tried out to be on the Girls Varsity Basketball team, and was one of the only two freshmen on the team. 

Hunter’s start with basketball began with looking up to her older brother as he played basketball for the Upward League, too. “I think it was just because he was doing it. I used to do whatever he did,” said Hunter. Going to Washington Wizards games as a kid also provided Hunter with a curiosity of the game. “It was really cool to see the fast pace and all the different skills that players have to have to play at that level,” said Hunter. Hunter’s parents supported her start with basketball and her continuation on with playing more competitively on her travel team and school-based team. 

During the fall sports season, Hunter runs on the Varsity Girls Cross Country team as a way to keep motivated for the travel and school basketball seasons, and to also stay in shape. “I’ve always liked running and cross country was just a great way to keep running,” said Hunter. Hunter’s dad also ran cross country in college, which was also a big factor in her decision to join the Varsity Girls Cross Country team. 

Hunter also prioritizes school and extracurriculars outside of sports with her participation in PFHS Sources of Strength, a student-driven mental health program, and competing in DECA.

Hunter continues to be one of the highest scoring players on the Varsity Girls Basketball team this season. According to Varsity Girls Basketball Head Coach, Lynn Ewald, Hunter averages ten points, 3.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds, and 3.5 steals per basketball game. Hunter additionally has come close to beating Potomac Falls’ Girls Basketball assist record of 9 assists in one game during the Jan 11 game against John Champe High School. Hunter hopes that she will beat the record by the end of this season. 

As for Hunter’s future playing basketball, she is thinking about playing D3 basketball. “I am also just thinking about playing for a club or intramural basketball team in college instead,” said Hunter. Hunter added that she does not see herself running competitively in college. Whether or not Hunter chooses to pursue basketball more in the future, she has sure left her mark on the Girls Varsity Basketball team and program at Potomac Falls.