The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Is Lizzo Canceled?

Lizzo is known as a body positive icon by many, so when allegations came out against her, fans were shocked to say the least. 

Many fans of Lizzo love her music because of her upbeat rhythms, self-love lyrics, and humble start in the music industry. Now, singer Lizzo is being accused of sexual harassment, racial discrimination, and assault by three former dancers. 

According to Lizzo’s background dancers, Arianna Davis, Crystal Williams, and Noelle Rodriquez claimed these things at a press release. Lizzo invited the dancers to a nude club in Amsterdam. The dancers felt uncomfortable but stayed because they were scared about losing their jobs. 

According to New York Magazine, Lizzo allegedly pressured the dancers to touch one of the nude performer’s bodies even though Davis said multiple times they did not want to. After being pressured the whole night, Davis finally gave in and did what Lizzo wanted her to do because she wanted to keep her job.

The next week, Lizzo took her dancers to another nude bar in Paris without their knowing that the bar was a nude one. There, Davis claims that she was fat shamed by Lizzo. After these claims came out by the dancers, six other inquiries were made from other people with similar situations.

Lizzo responded on Instagram against these allegations by posting, “These last few days have been gut-wrenchingly difficult and overwhelmingly disappointing. My work ethic, morals and respectfulness have been questioned. My character has been criticized. Usually I choose not to respond to false allegations but these are as unbelievable as they sound and too outrageous to not be addressed. These sensationalized stories are coming from former employees who have already publicly admitted that they were told their behavior on tour was inappropriate and unprofessional.”

Former employees of Lizzo are supporting the lawsuit and are sharing their own experiences. Film maker Sophia Nahli Allison shared her own experience when she was a director of her documentary and claims she was treated with disrespect by Lizzo and left the documentary after about two weeks. 

Current employees of Lizzo that were on the special tour with the other dancers are on her side, and say it was a positive experience. Her current employees showed support for her Instagram post and that they have been “so honored to share the stage with such amazing talent.”

Does Lizzo deserve to be canceled? Is all of this made up in order to get fame? No one will know until the truth comes out.