The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Panthers at the Polls

Panthers at the Polls

How and why to vote – a simple guide

America’s political climate seems to grow increasingly divisive with each passing month, and students at Potomac Falls, like many young people, have opinions of their own. Some seniors, on the verge of turning 18, may be able to make those opinions count in exciting new ways during the upcoming presidential election. Why should PFHS students vote, and how can they get started?

Those in government have the ability to make decisions and enforce policies that heavily affect the lives of students, particularly in a climate where education is becoming an increasingly controversial political battlefield. Thus, it is important for citizens to exercise their political power by voting. 

“Voting is how you make your voice heard,” said Samantha Shepard of the Loudoun County Elections and Voter Registration Office. “It is the way you get to tell your community what is important to you.”

On top of giving students a voice, the act of voting is a great privilege. “Voting is denied to so many people around the world, and has been a flashpoint in our history during many eras when people had to fight to protect and/or earn the right to vote, so voting is a way to show respect to those who helped to protect and extend this democratic activity,” said Kira Hoilman, an AP US & Comparative Government at PFHS. “It is an opportunity to be politically active that is protected and enshrined in our government.”

This is great news, but does one vote really matter? “Every vote counts – it’s simple,” said Hoilman. “ Electoral fraud is highly uncommon, so your vote matters.”

How to vote

In order to register to vote in the upcoming presidential election, one does not have to be 18. Rather, they must turn 18 before Nov. 5, 2024. As long as they turn 18 before this date, a person can vote in the presidential election, intervening primaries, and special elections regardless of age.

“You may register and update your information at any time, but the application or notice of your updated information must be received or postmarked no later than 22 days before every election. Voters may register through Election Day, and vote using a provisional ballot,” said Shepard.

Shepard provided several ways to register or update your voter registration information:

• Online: Virginia Department of Elections – when prompted choose Loudoun County as your locality. https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation 
  • Print, fill out, and mail a paper Voter Registration Application (PDF) to the Office of Elections, 750 Miller Drive SE, Suite C, Leesburg, VA 20175. 
  • Register to vote at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Voters may also update their voter information with the DMV when changing addresses or names.

How else can I get involved politically?

Not everyone will be able to vote in 2024, but there’s still options for making a change. Hoilman provides a sprawling list of ways that students can get involved politically:

• Writing to their legislators
  • Volunteering for campaigns
  • Joining / attending rallies or marches
  • Joining a club that is connected to an interest group
  • Reading good, reliable sources of information about current events and politics to build personal opinions
  • Participating in discussion in government class
  • Being involved in student government organizations
  • Running for office in the local community or at university
  • Attending a town council meeting or school board meeting
  • Finding a cause that is important and identifying an organization that supports that cause.

For those students who are able to register to vote, an additional option is open. “Volunteer at a polling place on election day,” said Hoilman. 

“When students are 18, they can serve as an Election Officer,” said Sheppard.*Further vote registration prerequisites can be found here: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/how-to-register/ [email protected]v