The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Who Will Succeed Wexton?

Photo by: U.S. House Office of Photography

Candidacy announcements are popping up every day as competitors pursue a congressional run to succeed Wexton. From state legislators to former politicians, the race is just getting started. 

Congresswoman Jennifer Wexton (D-10) announced in September that she would not seek reelection to Congress after being diagnosed with progressive supranuclear palsy: a form of Parkinson’s Disease. First elected in 2018 amid a wave of wins by Democratic women during the midterm elections, Wexton won with 53% of the vote in 2022. 

Wexton’s accomplishments include passing bipartisan legislative initiatives and establishing the Congressional Task Force on Digital Citizenship, created to help Americans engage responsibly on the Internet. She currently serves on the House Appropriations and Budget Committees.

An open seat in one of Virginia’s most competitive congressional districts sets up a competitive race not only between both parties in the general election but in the primaries as well. As of November 17, these are the Democratic Party contenders running for Wexton’s seat. No Republican Party contenders have been announced. 

Announced:

Eileen Filler-Corn

Former speaker of the House of Delegates. First Jewish and female House speaker in Virginia history. Announcing her run on October 18, Filler-Corn decided to campaign for the seat due to the chaos in Washington with MAGA Republicans. She currently lives in Springfield. In her time as speaker, Filler-Corn’s priorities included preventing gun violence and supporting public education. She is endorsed by former Governor Ralph Northam and former Attorney General Mark Herring. 

Jennifer Boysko

Current State Senator representing parts of western Fairfax county since 2019. Boysko announced her run on November 9. During her time as State Senator, Boysko’s priorities included reforming the criminal justice system and working on economic policies such as paid family and medical leave. She previously served in the House of Delegates from 2016 to 2019.

According to her Twitter, Boysko is running to fight for a better future for all Virginians. 

Atif Qarni

Former Virginia Secretary of Education under Governor Ralph Northam. Qarni announced his run on November 11. According to his campaign website, Qarni promises to champion Universal Pre-K and invest in workforce development. He also mentions a variety of other issues, such as investing in infrastructure and protecting reproductive rights.

David Reid

Current state Delegate representing Ashburn and Sterling since 2018. Reid announced his run on November 14, citing his upbringing in foster care and career in the Navy as a reason why voters should choose him in the primary election. During his time as Delegate, Reid’s priorities included expanding Medicaid to Virginians and defending civil rights. He is endorsed by Delegate Karrie Delaney. 

Dan Helmer

Current state delegate representing southern Fairfax and Prince William counties since 2020. Helmer announced his run on November 15, writing on Twitter that he is running for Congress because the House of Representatives and democracy is on the line. During his time as Delegate, Helmer’s priorities included funding transportation infrastructure and limiting the influence of political action committees in Virginia elections. He is endorsed by Delegates Joshua Cole, Sally Hudson, Rodney Willett, and Nadarius Clark.

Suhas Subramanyam

Current state Delegate and State Senator-elect representing Ashburn and South Riding since 2020. He was the first South Asian and Hindu politician to be elected to the General Assembly. Subramanyam announced his run on November 16, writing on Twitter that he felt called to action. During his time as Delegate, Subramanyam’s priorities included protecting abortion rights and stopping toll increases.