The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Commanders Revamp

Commanders+Revamp

After a horrific loss against the Dallas Cowboys, Washington Commanders head coach Ron Rivera fired defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio and defensive backs coach Brent Veiselmeyer. 

This Thanksgiving massacre was the final straw for the franchise during this losing season with a current record of 4-9. The Commanders have lost to the Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Seattle Seahawks, Philadelphia Eagles, Chicago Bears, and the Buffalo Bills. 

Defensive Coordinator of the Commanders Jack Del Rio was originally supposed to be fired after the New York Giants game on Nov. 19, but his defensive coordinator position was extended to one more game due to the team having to play the Cowboys on a short week, according to Commander Country. The Giants have one of the worst offenses in the NFL right now, so their 31-19 win over the Commanders ensures the Commanders’ title of having one of the worst defenses. The Commander’s offense is not the best either. Quarterback Sam Howell, who was the 144th NFL draft pick, has thrown a pick-6 in the last three games. 

Rivera has assumed Del Rio’s defensive quarter duties for the time being, but his spot as head coach next year is not looking good. The Commander’s’ new owner, Josh Harris, who assumed ownership in July of this year, is currently evaluating Rivera, and deciding if he’s the best person for this job. 

It is possible that after this season, Harris will “clean house” and fire Rivera and his coaching staff, the front office staff (most of whom are under the direction of Rivera), and some of the team’s roster. Most seem to know what is coming, “It feels like a new direction is coming across the board,” a front office member told ESPN. 

It is unlikely that Rivera will return for a fifth season as a head coach next year. People are speculating about his possible replacements. The candidates include the Commanders offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, the Houston Texans offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik, the New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, the Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, the University of Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh is a previous NFL head coach who led the San Francisco 49ers to three NFC championships and one Superbowl, where they lost to the Baltimore Ravens. He is now coaching the Michigan Wolverines, who are at the top of the AP Top 25 college football rankings, but after a scandalous season, returning to NFL coaching looks like a possibility for Harbaugh.

While the future of the Commanders franchise is unclear, it is obvious that changes need to be made after this season. The firing of Del Rio and Veiselmeyer is a hint that the changes have begun. Many fans wonder, however, how far the changes will go. Is a new coaching lineup the answer for the struggling Commanders?