The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

12 NAHS Members Selling Holiday Cards This Week

This week, students will have the opportunity to view and buy a variety of cards designed by their peers.

Too busy to make your own holiday cards? Tired of Hallmark? From Dec. 11 to Dec. 15, Potomac Falls High School’s National Art Honor Society (NAHS) will be selling holiday cards outside of the cafeteria. Three society members will be volunteering during each of the four lunch blocks to manage the register and guide student customers through the wide selection available.

Whatever type of card students are looking for, NAHS is confident that they can provide. “Designs range from digitally-made ones, to hand-drawn ones, to painted ones. There are really funny ones and also really serious ones. We are trying to be inclusive so there are Hanukkah ones, Christmas ones, and general holiday things, as well as birthday cards, and Lunar New Year cards,” said NAHS Vice President and senior Gabi Maldonado.

“I think a big thing about the inspirations [behind] these cards is to bring in the Christmas joy, the winter joy and really bring in the warm feeling,” said NAHS President and senior Melody Guo.

Each card will cost $2, but there is also a special 3 for $5 deal in place for eager students as well. Cards can be purchased with cash or through an online payment method.

This is the second year that NAHS has had a winter holiday fundraiser, but the first year that they have opted to sell cards. “We started selling last year but we did ornaments and earrings and this year, we’re going to do more cards,” said Guo. Each craft is unique, created only by the talented students at PFHS.

The funds that NAHS collects will go towards the arts within our school and future society events. “[The purpose of the sale is] to raise money for the art department and for scholarships for members because a lot of us are seniors, as well as for a field trip,” said Maldonado. Last year, NAHS went to an art museum in Washington, D.C. This year, the club is planning another field trip.

“One thing is to help support the arts kids here at school but also support creativity, as well as promote our society so that when we do our Valentine’s Day card sales, people will know about it,” said Guo. NAHS’s Valentine’s Day card fundraiser will take place in February.

The many officers of NAHS did not just coordinate the effort to create holiday cards, they made some of their own as well. NAHS Historian senior Destiny Zeng made three cards. “One was a Lunar New Year card with a dragon, another one was a cat with a Santa hat, and one was a snowman with abs and muscles,” said Zeng.

Many officers found chipping in for this event very important. “We get to express ourselves while also being able to give to the entire community with our cards,” said Zeng. 

“I love this fundraiser because you get to see the different styles of artists and it’s also bringing awareness to our art community within the school,” said Maldonado. “Cards can really resonate with someone, and they bring joy to peoples’ lives.”

With cards representing all the upcoming holidays and events, NAHS will be trying to lighten spirits and spread cheer. From NAHS to you, happy holidays!