The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

The Seven Best Christmas Songs of All Time

Essential additions to your holiday playlist

“Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” – Bruce Springsteen 

Though “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” is originally by the Jackson Five, the Bruce Springsteen version makes it to this list for one reason alone: it’s a live performance. You can hear him talking to the band and the audience, and on a few occasions he even laughs during the take. It brings an extraordinary amount of joy to the listener. 

“It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year” – Andy Williams

William brings a vintage Christmas sound to the list with chiming bells, an orchestra, and a chorus providing the backing vocals. If you want your holiday to be truly classic, with the vibes of “It’s A Wonderful Life” or “Miracle on 34th Street,” this should be a go-to song. 

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” – Mariah Carey

Where would we be without Mariah Carey? No, really, it’s a genuine question. Since the song’s release in 1994, the song has “defrosted” and risen through the charts every holiday season. This year is no different. It has rightfully become a Christmas classic, and if you’re able to make a living off of an almost thirty year-old song that trends once a year, you’ve made it as an artist. 

“Christmas Lights” – Coldplay

This is (of the author’s very-biased opinion) the best Christmas song of all time, and yet, no one knows it. Sonically, it’s lovely, lyrically, it’s heartbreaking and beautiful and absolutely perfect. 

“Christmas Treat” – Julian Casablancas

This entire song was actually written and performed as an SNL skit by Jimmy Fallon, Horatio Sanz, Chris Kattan, and Tracy Morgan. Later, in 2009, the Strokes’ leading man Julian Casablancas released a cover of it. “Christmas Treat” is the ultimate Christmas hype song, yet it doesn’t have the hype of most of the songs on the list. Give it a listen; you won’t regret it. 

“Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” – Darlene Love

Released in 1963, this song is catchy and sure to get stuck in your head. Various artists have released covers from it in the years sense, but truly, nothing compares to the original. 

“Last Christmas” – Wham!

On this list, “Last Christmas” may be, objectively, the most perfect Christmas song. It’s a story of heartbreak set under twinkle lights and mistletoe. And there’s a version for practically every type of listener out there. Do you like smooth, 80s’ synth and lusty vocals? Wham! is right there. Taylor Swift has a version from her 2007 Christmas album that’s a country bop. And if you’re into more edgy, punk rock, Lucy Dacus released a version in 2019.