The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Yule Love These! 8 Non-Traditional Films for the Holiday Season

1. Die Hard (1988)

This classic action movie is everyone’s favorite non-christmas Christmas movie. NYPD cop John McClane’s trip to LA takes an unexpected and dangerous turn when a terrorist group holds a Christmas party hostage…including his wife and children. With outside communication cut, it is up to McClane to stop the assailants. 

2. Gremlins (1984)

Billy has just received a highly unusual Christmas present from his father, an exotic new pet which he names Gizmo. While cute and cuddly, Gizmo comes with very specific instructions: don’t get him wet, keep him away from bright lights, and never feed him after midnight. When a rule is broken, mayhem ensues, and it is up to Billy to save the day.

3. Don’t Look Up (2021)

This satirical film follows two astronomers as they try to warn society of a world-ending asteroid headed towards earth. Despite its bleak circumstances, the protagonists are able to come together to celebrate Christmas, reflecting themes typically found in holiday movies. This movie is an accurate yet unappealing depiction of the world, but its comedic attributes make it an entertaining movie to watch in December. 

4. Batman Returns (1992)

This iconic superhero film is set during Christmas time and offers certain Christmas symbols like mistletoe, Christmas trees, and the antagonist Max Shreck representing the Grinch or Scrooge. This is a great option for a non-traditional holiday movie as it offers other mature themes like violence. 

5. Little Women (1994 and 2019)

Set in 19th century Massachusetts, this film, based on the acclaimed novel of the same name, tells the story of the women of the March family: Marmee and her daughters Jo, Meg, Amy, and Beth. The film features an in depth exploration of holiday-esque themes like family, unity, joy, etc, following the girls as they grow into adult individuals, and their relationships with each other shift and evolve. Little Women is about much more than holiday spirit, but Christmas is at the center of the story; it is a moment that the narrative and its characters always return to.

6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)

“Happy Christmas, Harry!” The first film in the iconic Harry Potter series is the best movie to add to your Christmas watch list. The cozy wintery and Christmasy scenes make this movie a typical watch for many people during this time of year. 

7. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

An inventor’s greatest creation is Edward, an artificially constructed man. Unfortunately, the inventor passes, leaving Edward alone and incomplete with only scissors for hands. Edward is then discovered and taken in by Peg and her family. The third act of the film revolves entirely around Christmas, and features some cinema’s most famous Christmas scenes. Although unconventional, this is a film about love and kindness, and it is perfect for the season. 

8. Carol (2015)

Set in 1950s New York, Therese Belivet is a Manhattan shop-girl; she works endlessly now that it’s the holiday season, but her real dream is to be a photographer. Everything changes when she meets Carol, an older woman, mysterious and glamorous, who comes into the store in search of a gift for her daughter. The two begin an illicit love affair that will change their lives. The film was nominated for six Oscar awards upon its release, and is perfect for those who want to relish in the holiday spirit, but are looking for a richer cinematic experience.