The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Best Picture Breakdown

The Roar’s predicted ranking for Best Picture winner at the Oscar. Continued from the Roar Magazine Issue 2.

1.   Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer is the clear frontrunner to bring home the best picture win as they have a total of 13 nominations in almost every category. It basically has everything going for it. They won at the box office garnering 955 million worldwide and won with the critics with a 93% on rotten tomatoes. The movie was also a part of the biggest double feature of the year. It is safe to say that you shouldn’t be surprised if you hear Oppenheimer called for best picture.

2. Poor Things

Poor Things might be the exact opposite of Oppheimer when it comes to box office and public reception which is exactly why it is the runner up frontrunner. The general public doesn’t know what Poor Things is most likely due to their mysterious trailers. But the academy sure knows what it is. It gained 11 nominations and has 94% on rotten tomatoes. As the Oscars loom closer, Poor Things will definitely be known as a frontrunner.

3. American Fiction

American Fiction has sneaked onto the awards scene over the past few weeks. While it hasn’t been completely ignored, the movie hasn’t gotten this much attention at any award show so far. It has five nominations which might seem low but it is nominated in almost every major category which shows the academy’s favoritism towards it.

4. Killers of the Flower Moon

Killers of the Flower Moon has 10 nominations, but I don’t think it has as much momentum as it might seem. Mostly because of its similarities to Oppenheimer. They are both massive period pieces made by critically and publicly acclaimed directors. But it seems Oppenheimer has the upperhand. It has been winning more and has way more exposure. The only way I could see Killers of the Flower Moon pulling ahead is that it is way more diverse than Oppenheimer. 

5. The Holdovers

The Holdovers is small but mighty. Not many people have seen it but anyone who has has nothing but positive things to say about it. It has five nominations all in the major categories and has a 97% on rotten tomatoes. It could easily be a surprise win. Although Da’vine Joy Randolph, who played Mary Lamb in the film, has been regarded as a shoo-in to win the best supporting actress award which might undermine its best picture chances.

6. Anatomy of a Fall

Anatomy of a Fall has been winning many awards all throughout the season. It has a 96% on rotten tomatoes and has five nominations. But even more importantly, it has a best director nomination for Justine Triet (The only female nominated in the category). The big thing holding it back from winning is that it wouldn’t get anyone talking. People generally don’t know about this film making it hard for the film to snag big awards.

7. Zone of Interest

Zone of Interest could be the biggest upset film of the season. With five nominations in all major categories, I think it could take home most of those simply due to its strong word of mouth. People have loved this film and have championed it throughout the past few months. It even has a best director nomination to boost its chances even more. 

8. Barbie

Barbie may have had a downhill ride at the box office but awards season has been nothing but an uphill battle for the film. After many snubs in a plethora of categories, it may seem like Barbie’s chances of bringing home the gold have slipped through her plastic glued-together fingers. But not all hope is lost for this massive film. It is critically and publicly acclaimed and has a massive box office to back it up. I wouldn’t get your hopes up for a Barbie sweep at the Oscars, but I wouldn’t count it out either. 

9. Maestro

Maestro has been Bradley Cooper’s baby throughout the awards season. He’s not exactly hiding that he desperately wants an Oscar as he has tripled his chances for one by directing, writing, and starring in the film. But I personally think that this is the award he is least likely to win. The competition is just too strong to award a film that is by far the least critically and publicly acclaimed out of the nominees.

10. Past Lives

Past Lives would be a lot higher on this list about two months ago. But awards season simply hasnt materialized for this film. It only snagged two nominations making it the least nominated out of all of the best picture nominees. In any other year, I would put this much higher but the other movies have too much momentum. The movie should be grateful that it even got nominated.