The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

14 Rom-Coms & Everything In Between

‘Tis the season for romantic comedies.

Whether you’re single or not this Valentine’s Day, here’s the perfect mix of Rom-Coms, pure romance, and pure comedy movies. These 14 movies will make you laugh or cry, or maybe a mix of both…

Comedies

1. Napoleon Dynamite (2004)

Feeling down and lonely on Valentine’s Day? Kick those sad thoughts out of your brain and replace them by watching “Napoleon Dynamite”. “Napoleon Dynamite” is a movie about an awkward outcast 16-year old from Idaho called “Napoleon Dynamite”. Napoleon (Jon Hader) makes it his mission to help his new friend in his new western school to win class presidency while simultaneously dealing with his wacky family life at home. It’s a lighthearted, funny movie that will for sure make you laugh and make your Valentine’s Day worth enjoying. 

2. Bridesmaids (2011)

Are your thoughts scrambled and solemn on Feb. 14? You need something chaotic and messy to distract you from that and make you forget that you were ever even sad. Lucky for you, there’s a perfect movie for that. “Bridesmaids” is a movie where the maid of honor and the bridesmaids compete over who is the bride’s true best friend, competing for her attention desperately. There is never a dull moment in “Bridesmaids”, you’ll laugh until your ribs hurt. 

3. The Hangover (2009)

Is it Valentine’s Day and you’re feeling like a complete wreck? Moping and sulking because all of your friends are out celebrating love and you’re at home? Well wipe your tears, grab your popcorn, and turn “The Hangover” on.  “The Hangover” is a humorous film about three friends who wake up in Las Vegas from a bachelor party, with no recollection of what went on the previous night, with the bachelor himself missing.  They have to make their way around the big city of Las Vegas and find their friend before his wedding. It’s hilarious, it’s all over the place, and it’s a perfect way to spend your Valentine’s Day.

4. Dumb and Dumber (1994)

By yourself on Valentine’s Day? All alone? Single? Lone wolf? Forget that. Who on earth needs a date when you can watch “Dumb and Dumber” instead? “Dumb and Dumber” is a hysterical comedy starring Jim Carrey (Lloyd Christmas) and Jeff Daniels (Harry Dunne) about two…not so bright, but good hearted friends from Rhode Island who set out on an adventurous trip to Aspen, Colorado, to give back a briefcase full of money to its owner, mistaking for something that had been accidentally abandoned, when it was actually left as ransom. You can tell by this that they just sound dumb. You won’t feel like such a loser after watching this. 

Romantic-Comedies “Rom-Coms”

5. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

This classic rom-com is based off of William Shakespeare’s comedy The Taming of the Shrew, and redeveloped in a 1990s American high school setting. It follows high school student Kat Stratford (Julia Stiles), who is beautiful, smart and driven, but she is also harsh and sometimes unkind. This means that she doesn’t attract many boys, and that is not going to work for her younger sister Bianca (Larisa Oleynik), who can’t date the boy she wants, Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), until Kat is dating someone as well. To solve this problem, Cameron suggests that they find someone to date Kat, but when that doesn’t turn out to be easy, they end up paying “bad boy” Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) to win Kat’s heart. With information from Bianca, Patrick is able to present Kat with all of her favorite things to swoon her, and it starts to work. The problem is, it’s still a set up, and Kat has no idea. Heart’s are broken, people are betrayed, and fists are thrown when no one knows what their true feelings really are. 

6. How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days (2003)

When magazine writer Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is quested with the task of making a man fall out of love with her in ten days, what is expected to be an easy tasks turns impossible when the man she chooses, Benjamin Barry (Matthew McConaughey), has also been offered a bet, but his is to make a woman fall in love with him in just 10 days. What should have been an easy task for both, has now turned into a never ending game of who will actually be able to fulfill their bet. The thing is, neither of them know they are only together because of bets made on each other. While Andie is doing everything in her power to draw Ben away, Ben is doing everything in his power to keep Andie around. With chaos and emotions running high, Andie and Ben begin having trouble discerning their actual emotions from the act they’re both trying to put on.

7. Valentine’s Day (2010)

This movie follows several interconnected Valentine’s Day love stories. Set in Los Angeles, the movie follows many couples on Valentine’s Day, some old, some new, and some not yet formed. The whole movie takes place in a single day, Valentine’s Day, and in just this one day, the couples face many highs and lows, which change all of their fates. The movie stars famous actors and actresses like Julia Roberts, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Garner, Bradley Cooper, Taylor Lautner, and even pop superstar Taylor Swift.

8. Pretty Woman (1990)

“Pretty Woman” is a film that follows Edward Lewis (Richard Gere), A wealthy businessman who has never been able to keep a partner since all of his focus is on his work and success. He starts to realize this, and when he is in need of a woman to accompany him to social events for a week, a chance encounter with Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts) makes him ask her to fill the role. While Edward is a businessman billionaire, Vivian earns her money in a much less professional way. The deal works for both of them. Vivian gets to live a lavish, rich life for a week, and Edward gets the pretty woman he needs to present to society. Vivian and Edward live two completely different lives, but after their time spent together, both of their worlds and perspectives are changed. Even though they of all people should not get together, they can’t help the feelings they start to form for each other. 

9.  Sweet Home Alabama (2002)

After a messy divorce seven years ago, Melanie Smooter (Reese Witherspoon) left her old life behind in Alabama to reinvent herself as fashion designer in the Big Apple. Since being in New York City, Melanie has gotten everything she’s wanted, including her dream boyfriend, but when he proposes to her, she has bigger problems to face, as her former husband, Jake Perry (Josh Lucas), refused to ever sign their divorce papers. This forces Melanie to reluctantly make a trip back to her hometown in Alabama to finalize her divorce. Even when Melanie makes it back to Alabama, what she thought would be a quick trip is just the opposite when Jake still refuses to sign the divorce papers. Melanie ends up stuck in Alabama for much longer than she anticipated, and she starts to realize just how much she might miss her old life. 

Romance

10. The Bridges of Madison County (1995) 

Set in the 1960s, Italian-immigrant Francesca (Meryl Streep) lives near the covered bridges of Madison County, IA and is home alone for a weekend without her husband and two children. When Robert (Clint Eastwood), a National Geographic photographer, knocks at her door seeking to photograph the famous covered bridges, the two fall for each other. Francesca is hit with the big question whether or not to leave her family and husband to be with Robert, or to stay living her quiet but boring life in Iowa. This book turned movie adaptation is sure to warm your heart, but also make sure to have a box of tissues nearby.  

11. The Notebook (2004)

Chances are you have heard of the classic love story “The Notebook” based on the novel of the same name by Nicholas Sparks. “The Notebook” covers the passionate and complex relationship of Noah (Ryan Gosling) and Allie (Rachel McAdams) who both live in Charleston, SC during WWII who fall in love as teenagers but drift apart after Noah is drafted and Allie finds someone new. Noah’s love is persistent for Allie, but is not apparent to her because love letters written to her by Noah are kept from her because they are from two different financial classes. “The Notebook” is a beautiful film with a bittersweet ending and will be sure to make your Valentine’s Day better. 

12. Sabrina (1995)

This rendition of “Sabrina” is followed by the original film of the same name which was released in 1954 and is based on the play “Sabrina Fairchild”. “Sabrina” tells the tale of a love triangle between two rich brothers and their chauffeur’s daughter, Sabrina. Sabrina Fairchild (Julia Ormond) has had a crush on David Larabee (Greg Kinnear) all her life; only knowing him through his looks and actions through her bedroom window just above the garage of David’s family mansion. Linus Larabee (Harrison Ford), David’s brother, is sophisticated and the responsible one of the two brothers and has never been in love because of his determination with their successful family business. When Sabrina comes back from a fashion internship in Paris, she looks entirely different and has a confidence she never has had. Still being in love with David when she comes back home, she pursues a relationship with him and makes him fall for her purely off her looks. Linus, however, is tasked with pulling them apart due to a business deal between David and his fiancé and falls in love in the process. Watch to find out who Sabrina chooses whether it be spoiled, irresponsible, but handsome David or straight-laced, rugged, and caring Linus. r

13. Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Based on the literary classic by Jane Austen, “Pride & Prejudice” is a truly timeless love story with an enemies to lovers trope. Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen) is a wealthy landowner who is stuck-up and has prejudice against the middle and lower class. Elizabeth Bennett (Keira Knightly) is a part of the middle class living still with her parents and unmarried four sisters. When the two meet at a ball, they immediately hate each other but are still somewhat intrigued by one another. Elizabeth is faced with whether or not Mr. Darcy is the right one for her with many obstacles that come in the way. For a slow-burn movie that will never go out of style, watch “Pride and Prejudice.”

14. Call Me By Your Name (2017)

“Call Me By Your Name” is based on Italian author André Aciman’s novel of the same name and is known as a “modern queer classic” by Time Magazine. The story follows 17-year-old Italian-French-American Elio (Timothée Chalamet) who is confused by his newfound love with his father’s summer doctoral student, Oliver (Armie Hammer). The two first do not get along and are confused by their emotions towards each other, but a summer in northern-Italy spent by the water, listening and playing music, and ultimately discovering similarities between one another bring them together. If you want to watch a beautifully filmed movie packed with deep quotes, relatable characters, and an up-to interpretation ending, this movie should be first on your list.