The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

New Year, New Movies

With the beginning of each new year, comes new movies. 2024 seems to be the year of sequels, with classic titles such as “Moana” and “The Joker” receiving their counterparts.

With the start of 2024, fans from all over the world have been eagerly awaiting movies of all genres. This year, Hollywood’s biggest focus is not only new movies, but also new sequels to everyone’s favorite classics. From Disney and Pixar, to Warner Brothers and Marvel. 

March

“Dune: Part Two”

For those who watched “Dune” three years ago, Hollywood is introducing their sequel to the movie “Dune: Part Two” on Mar. 1. The sequel contains actors like Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya. 

“Kung Fu Panda 4”

Everyone’s favorite panda is making a comeback Mar. 8 with its fourth sequel to the series. “Kung Fu Panda 4,” follows Po the panda who has to train a new warrior that was chosen to be the new spiritual leader of the Valley of Peace. 

“Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire”

Another sequel of a classic comes out this year on Mar. 22. “Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire,” when an old artifact starts to unleash mayhem on the city of new york, new and old ghostbusters have to unite to save the world from a second ice age. 

April 

“Monkey Man”

An anonymous young man in a gorilla mask brings forth a campaign of vengeance against the unjust leaders who murdered his mother in “Monkey Man,” coming to theaters on Apr. 5.

“Challengers”

Tashi, a former tennis player turned coach, brings her husband skills from mediocre to world class in “Challengers” debuting on Apr. 26. After an unfortunate losing streak, Tashi has her husband compete in challenger events when he runs into his former best friend and Tashi’s ex boyfriend, Patrick at the opposite end of the court.

May

“Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes”

Ever since 2017, many have been waiting for the next movie from the Planet of the Apes franchise. “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” is set to release on May 10. The story follows a young ape on a journey that makes him question his reality, and he is forced to determine decisions that will set the future for everybody.

“The Garfield Movie”

Featuring your favorite cartoon cat, “The Garfield Movie” is releasing May 24. The movie follows Garfield reuniting with his father, a bad influence and unreliable street cat who pulls him into a dangerous heist.

June

“Ballerina”

A brand new thriller action movie that comes out on Jun. 7, “Ballerina” is about a young female assassin who is seeking revenge against the people who killed her family. It is one of the first spin off movies from the John Wick franchise. 

“Inside Out 2”

Pixar’s long awaited sequel “Inside Out 2,” comes out Jun. 14, just in time for the start of summer. The storyline introduces a new emotion in Riley’s head, and how the other emotions have to deal with Riley growing up. 

“A Quiet Place: Day One”

Switching gears to Horror, “A Quiet Place: Day One,” which comes out Jun. 28, is a spin-off prequel of the original series A Quiet Place. The storyline was made by “The Office” star, John Krasinski. 

July

“Despicable Me 4”

The “Despicable Me” movie franchise is coming back for the first time since 2017, releasing just one day before the fourth of July this year. The sequel, “Despicable Me 4,” will focus on Gru welcoming a new member to their family, known as Gru Jr. But everything comes crashing down as soon as “criminal mastermind” Maxime Le Mal escapes prison, and does everything he can to get his revenge on Gru.

“Deadpool and Wolverine”

If you enjoyed “The Wolverine”, “Deadpool”, or “Deadpool 2” then you will likely be entertained by the most awaited upcoming duo and movie, “Deadpool and Wolverine,” coming out May 24. Wolverine is recovering from injuries, when he stumbles upon the famous Deadpool. Their ultimate goal is to defeat their common enemy: Cassandra Nova, played by actress Emma Corrin. 

August

“Borderlands”

Based on the admired video game series, “Borderlands” is about a fugitive returning to her home planet, and forming a surprising league with a group of heroes, which is set to release Aug. 9. In the movie, they battle unworldly creatures such as aliens, in order to find the missing girl who is the key to achieving unfathomable power.  

“Alien: Romulus”

If you find yourself enjoying horror movies that include the supernatural, standalone movie “Alien: Romulus” might be an enjoyable watch for you in 2024. Coming out on Aug. 16, a group of people unknowingly walk into the path of the most terrifying life-form in the universe.

September

“Beetlejuice Beetlejuice”

Following the original “Beetlejuice” movie which came out in 1988, “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” is a fantasy horror comedy directed by Tim Burton, coming out Sep. 5. Featuring Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz, Jenna Ortega as Lydia’s daughter, and Monica Bellucci as Beetlejuice’s wife.

“Transformers One”

If you enjoyed the Transformers franchise, you’re bound to enjoy the animated prequel: “Transformers One,” releasing Sep. 13. Optimus Prime, played by Chris Hemsworth, and Megatron, played by Keegan-Michael Key, turn their relationship from being like brothers, to becoming arch-enemies.

“Wolfs”

“Wolfs” is a psychological thriller film set to release on Sep. 20, directed by the one and only, Jon Watts. In this movie, two lone wolf fixers are hired to do the same job. Starring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Poorna Jagannathan, Amy Ryan, and Austin Abrahams. 

October

“Joker: Folie á Deux”

Originally released in 2019, “The Joker” enters 2024 with a musical sequel, “Joker: Folie á Deux.” Coming out on Oct. 5, Joaquin Phoenix reprises his role alongside popstar Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn in a film that is sure to impress. 

“Smile 2”

For those who enjoyed “Smile”, “Smile 2” comes out on Oct. 18, and is set to follow the storyline of Joel, a character present in the first film as he undergoes threats of another supernatural entity.

“Terrifier 3”

The Halloween classic,“Terrifier” will cross boundaries into the world of Christmas horror in “Terrifier 3” on Oct. 25. The film follows Art the Clown as he unleashes chaos upon the unknowing residents of Miles County on Christmas Eve. 

November

“Venom 3”

Sony Pictures has done a good job of maintaining secrecy around the plot of “Venom 3,” which is set to hit the theaters on Nov. 3. Some hints for the film’s story being tied to the plot of “Spider-Man: No Way Home” has left fans excited for this well loved film to become a trilogy.

“Moana 2”

Eight years ago, Disney released their smash hit “Moana.” Now, the princess returns to the big screen on Nov. 27 in “Moana 2.” After receiving an unexpected call from her wayfinding ancestors, she must journey to the far seas of Oceania for an adventure of a lifetime. 

“Wicked Part 1”

Also coming out on Nov. 27, “Wicked Part 1” tells the tragic backstory of Elphaba and Glinda, two unlikely friends whose lives will be changed forever due to the prejudice of the people around them. The film’s story originating on Broadway, finds its way to the box office with Ariana Grande as Glinda and Cynthia Ervio as Elphaba. 

December

“The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim”

“The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” will make its entrance on Dec. 13 as an anime style film set 250 years before the War of the Ring, centered around the Kingdom Rohan. A much anticipated film for fans of the original TV and book series.

“Mufasa: The Lion King”

“Mufasa: The Lion King,” coming out on Dec. 20, is a live action prequel to the first movie, following the backstory of Mufasa, his relationship with his brother Scar, and his rise to power as king of the Animal Kingdom.

“Sonic The Hedgehog 3”

Also releasing on Dec. 20, a movie based on the video game series published by Sega, “Sonic The Hedgehog 3” will hit the big screen as an action-adventure comedy as it expands on the storyline of Sonic and his friends.