The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Beyonce Takes the Reigns: A Country Music Renaissance

It’s official: Country music is bold, bedazzled, and better than ever.

What is country music? Country music is a bald eagle in blue jeans soaring over a corn field; it’s an American flag waving from the back of a beat up pickup truck; it’s a blond-bearded cowboy singing about God, guns, and girls, but is that really true? Following the 2001 terrorist attacks, white, Christian, conservatism settled into the core of the country music genre, and it was the saving grace for a grieving America. Although country music as we know it today has only existed for about 20 years, the genre dates back to the 1600s, deriving from the folk music of European and African migrants; however, it wasn’t until 1922-23 that the first country songs were recorded and published, and the genre didn’t reach its peak until the 1960s and 1970s. 

The genre was beloved for its grit and authenticity; it was music for, by, and of the people. However, over time the genre shifted to mass manufactured and formulaic ‘stadium country’ music: a heavily commercialized and consumer driven vessel for white american nationalism. This is exemplified in comedian Bo Burnham’s satirical “Country Song” in which he says, “Huntin’ deer and chasing trout, A Bud Light with the logo facing out…Legalize gerry-mandering, Tolerate my pandering.” 

However, in recent years, another shift has begun to take shape within the country music scene. For instance, Kacey Musgraves, a Psychedelic and pop-influenced country artist dripping in glitter and saturated with bubblegum pink, is one of the most popular country musicians of the last decade. Additionally one of the most popular country songs, and one of the best-selling singles of all time is “Old Town Road” by Lil’ Nas X, who made waves in the genre as a gay man and person of color and. This gave way for artists like Orville Peck, an openly gay, country-singing cowboy known for his flamboyant southwestern fashion.

This shift will be solidified by singer Beyonce’s most recent endeavor. Beyonce has revealed that she will be releasing a country album this coming March; the record, “Act II,” is a sequel to her acclaimed “Renaissance” album. She has since released two singles off the record, “Texas hold ‘em” and “16 Carriages.”  Listeners can expect the music to be deeply rooted in classic country and folk, with a contemporary twist. Beyonce’s most recent studio albums “Lemonade” and “Renaissance”, as well as her musical film “Black is King” explore the nuances of black culture and African American history. Beyonce created the record with the assistance of musician and musical historian Rhiannon Giddens, and  it is likely the record will demonstrate the connections between country music and African culture. For example, the basis of country and folk music is the banjo, which was brought to Appalachia via enslaved Africans, according to PBS.

Additionally, “Renaissance” is a love letter to the LGBTQIA+ community. The album is an inspired re-imagining of the American Dream for the black, queer, and transgender individuals for which it has long been unattainable. The 32-time Grammy award winner pays homage to 20th century ballroom and drag subcultures, emphasizing  acceptance, openness of sexuality, and representation for queer identities. These themes are also reflected in the album’s glamorous and campy physical aesthetic. “Act II,” in accordance with its predecessor, will likely feature catchy singles and larger than life anthems with a punchy social commentary at its center. “Act II” will go further, paying tribute to underrepresented and undermined communities through a symbol of American culture, taking the core values of the genre and reshaping it into an inclusive, positive force for the new age.