The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Drake vs. Kendrick: Is This Beef “Like That?”

On Mar 22, Future and longtime co-worker Metro Boomin dropped an album that has been long awaited by many, We Don’t Trust You. This album has many hits and songs loved by hip-hop fans, but the most talked about aspect of the album is Kendrick Lamar’s verse on “Like That.”

In this verse, Kendrick Lamar directly calls out Drake in several lines. This may have felt out of nowhere, but it was actually a long time coming, with these rappers having originally feuded almost a decade ago. The beef originally started with Kendrick Lamar calling out many rappers, including Drake, in his verse on Big Sean’s “Control.”

Following this verse, the two performed sneak disses on each other for years, shown in songs such as Lamar’s “King Kunta” and Drake’s “The Language.” Over these years, beef with Drake also escalated for several rappers associated with Lamar such as Pusha T, Rick Ross, and more recently Future with his longtime producer and friend Metro Boomin.

Drake’s problems with Future and Metro Boomin stems from an alleged follow up album to their 2015 collab project, What A Time To Be Alive was teased in the rappers instagram stories. However, this album never dropped and instead Drake dropped a collaboration with 21 Savage on his hit project, Her Loss

The collaboration with 21 Savage also escalated his beef with Metro Boomin who had produced his own album featuring many hit rappers, Heroes & Villains. Metro was seen on twitter liking several Tweets that played up to the idea that Heroes & Villains was the better album of the two, and was ‘robbed’ of awards given to Drake’s project instead.

All this accumulated to Lamar’s verse on “Like That” where he directly calls out Drake and his most recent album, For All The Dogs. Drake has also now allegedly responded with a leaked track unofficially titled “Push Ups (Drop & Give Me 50)” responding to all of these recent feuds, with most of the lines being written against Future and Lamar.

Overall, it is a great time to be a rap fan, with these two titans of the industry who have both approached the game in vastly different ways going against each other. No matter who comes out on top, both sides should be hoping for several more tracks from each of these rappers to get the most out of everyone.