The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Angel In The Outfield

Playing softball her whole life and now on the Potomac Falls Varsity softball team, with a .3.75 batting average, 9 total home runs, and a 67 mph overhand throw velocity, freshman Lyla Daugherty-Moysey has earned her spot on the team and on National Ranks. 

For freshman Lyla Daugherty-Moysey, sports have been her whole life. Being a tri-athlete student at Potomac Falls High School, she takes on volleyball in the fall, track in the winter and softball in the spring. 

Daugherty-Moysey plays outfielder and considers it as her main position. “One day my mom randomly signed me up for it, and I ended up loving it,” said Daugherty-Moysey  

Starting her first year of high school strong, Daugherty-Moysey made the varsity softball team. “I’m really happy and thankful that I made varsity because I can play with different people and become a better player,” said Daugherty-Moysey. 

As of April 4, the varsity softball team has a record of 6-5.The first scrimmage of the season against Heritage for a team turned out to be a loss, but that did not stop Daugherty-Moysey’s motivation to be better. “It was a good time to figure out where everyone was as a team and what we need to improve on this season,” said Daugherty-Moysey. “Consistency is key for improvement and also getting a different perspective on how I play.” 

A couple of Daugherty-Moysey achievements include her nine career total home runs. “I felt so proud of myself afterwards.” Last summer on her travel team, Daugherty-Moysey made an inning-saving catch in the outfield that kept the game from ending early due to a mercy rule. “I feel like I helped my team a lot with those catches and that they can count on me to help get us out of touch situations.” And hitting a walk off triple that ultimately won the game. “I was so excited after I hit that and I felt like I made a huge difference in the game.” 

Daugherty-Moysey is ranked in the nation for her skills in center field, something she’s worked incredibly hard to achieve.  “[Being nationally ranked] shows me that even if I’m down or in a slump, I’ve proven to other people that I can be a good player.” 

For Daugherty-Moysey, being nationally ranked is one huge step closer to playing for her dream college, University of Virginia and going on to become a D1 softball player. “There’s  definitely a lot more pressure when playing in front of a scout, they not only look at how you play but also look at your attitude during the game,” said Daughtery-Moysey. “If you make an error, they look at how you recover from it and how you handle certain scenarios in the game.” 

Daugherty-Moysey has also been a valuable team player on and off the team, bringing good spirits to the team, even after a loss.  “Lyla has always been super bubbly and uplifting and always manages to keep a smile on her face even when things don’t go as planned,” said Daugherty-Moysey’s teammate, junior Zariah Ricks. “She brings a positive attitude and as a freshman she doesn’t let playing with 18 year olds get the best of her which I really like. She definitely deserves being nationally ranked, she’s a great softball player and for her to be nationally ranked as a freshman is amazing.” 

Daugherty-Moysey has been playing on her travel team Fury Platinum Dooley. “I play on an ‘A team’ which requires a lot of commitment. There’s definitely more traveling and competition,” said Daugherty-Moysey. 

In his first year of coaching Varsity softball, Coach Josh Chand has high hopes for Daugherty-Moysey. “What I see from her is, maximum effort every single time she is on the field.” 

In the short time the two have known each other, Chand has made a connection with Daugherty-Moysey built on mutual respect. “She is a perfectionist. If her last rep isn’t a good one, she is not happy and she wants to do it again which I like a lot,” said Chand. “She has been a lighting rod for our team because all the girls can see what she is able to do.”

One word that Daugherty-Moysey would use to describe her current softball career is “fun.” “With everything I have going on in my life, whether it’s school stressing me out or other problems, I can count on softball to lift my mood and take my mind off certain things,” said Daughtery-Moysey.