The student news site of Potomac Falls High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Summer Olympics Preview

Photo by: rawpixel.com
Olympic rings in Paris, 23 September 2017. More: View public domain image source here

Take a look at the upcoming Summer Olympics, taking place in Paris, France.

Summer is just around the corner and, with it, so are the Summer Olympics. The Summer Olympics only come once every four years with there being a two year break in between the Summer and Winter Olympics. This makes the Summer Olympics even more exciting when it comes around, with it containing popular sports such as soccer, football and basketball. 

The Summer Olympics start on Jul. 26 and are set to end on Aug. 11. This time the Olympics are placed in Paris, France and will feature breakdancing for the first time as an Olympic event. Coverage should not be hard to find, with it being on NBC for cable, and Peacock for streaming.

The Olympics will open with soccer, rugby, and handball on Jul. 24, then start their archery events on Jul. 25 followed by a one day break of events. On Jul. 27, the majority of the events start, badminton, basketball, boxing, cycling, surfboarding, and tennis.

One person that will be interesting to keep an eye on will be English skateboarder Lola Tambling. Tambling is only 14 years old and comes off an amazing performance from the Skateboard World Championships in 2023 in which she placed 6th among competitors from the United States, Great Britain, and Japan.

It is also an exciting time for US supporters of the basketball team, with some of the best US players of the NBA, including Lebron James and Steph Curry, electing to participate in the competition. This is a big deal because in the last few years, many NBA stars have not joined in on participating in international competitions for different reasons, so it will be nice to see these superstars team up and hopefully dominate the tournament.