WE’VE GOT SPIRIT HOW BOUT YOU?!

DECA installs a new “Spirit Box”

Filing into school on the first day, everything seems the same; same classrooms, same hallways, same feel. But walking past the auditorium, a new contraption caught the eyes of many students. It looked like a normal vending machine; a tall black box filled with goodies sitting idly by in the foyer. However, this box is a special type of vending machine. It is called the “Spirit Box” and does not dispense yummy treats; instead, it gives the students something they all desire, Potomac Falls spirit wear.

The Spirit Box first appeared in August and students marveled at its newness and its contents. Many wondered how it came about because they had never seen anything like it before.

“The Spirit Box is a pilot program. We [DECA] didn’t have to pay for the box, and if it’s not successful, it will go away,” said senior Mashal Azhar.

The box is sponsored by the Potomac Falls DECA program, and is managed by Azhar. The funds for the Spirit Box came from the school store; when the merchandise from the store was purchased, the company from which the merchandise is ordered gave the Spirit Box away for free.

Instead of worrying about when the school store will and will not be open, this special vending machine has allowed for students to easily purchase their favorite school’s spirit wear, “It [the box] is mostly for convenience, its available 24/7 as long as the school is open, while the store could be closed,” said Azhar.

The Spirit Box features many types of PFalls spirit wear, such as sunglasses, pants, shirts, magnets, and even lanyards. Everything in the box costs at least five dollars, each. Similarly to the school store, The Panther Den, it holds the same the merchandise, however, the Spirit Box gives students a chance to purchase their favorite spirit wear any day of the week. The box is decorated black and purple with a giant panther on the side. Unlike the current vending machines in the school, the Spirit Box is an updated version that now takes three different credit cards.

Some suspect that the box will not be used, however, this is not true,“We’ve made $1000 in sales so far [with the box]” said Azhar. So as for now, the box is here to stay.

Mysterious as it may be, the Spirit Box is just another way to promote school spirit and bring in more revenue. Many students have already been seen purchasing their favorite clothing and items from the box, planning to wear it on spirit days or sporting events.

The new Spirit Box is sure to bring a surge of school pep and bring the Potomac Falls community closer together one shirt at a time.