Wild side of war

A soldier returns from war to surprise her unsuspecting daughter

Photo by: Mariam Eatedali

Sophomore Courtney Wild and her mother are all smiles after their reunion. The mother and daughter had been separated for the past year.

Jacqueline Misek is used to the pressures of warfare, the stress and worry of everyday life in war. And yet, when walking into the halls of Potomac Falls, a jolting blur of camouflage, she hurriedly jogged to greet each member of the staff, out of breath, with a nervous smile. The steps of her combat boots grew as she paced anxiously amongst the crowd of curious students and admiring staff members before her, contemplating if her plan will work in the slightest. She waited a year for this moment. She was about to see her daughter, sophomore Courtney Wild, for the first time in twelve months. She made sure not to forget a Chick-fil-a meal, for two.

“She doesn’t like surprises, she doesn’t like not knowing. That’s Courtney; she wants to know everything,” said Misek.

Misek has returned home for the first time since her her departure back on Nov. 29 of last year, spending her second deployment in the deserts of Kuwait, Jordan, and Afghanistan. Her daughter had no idea when her mother would be returning, and most certainly did not know her mother had made it home late the night prior to the big surprise.

“I wanted to do something just really, really special for her that she’ll remember forever,” said Misek.

Wild, avidly curious about her mother’s whereabouts during the past year and not one for surprises, found it odd that neither her father nor any other family members would tell her where her mom was in the world. However, the look of pure joy and shock on Wild’s face at the sight of her mother entering the PFHS cafeteria said it all.

“I wasn’t expecting it, but I’m happy that she did it. I’m so glad. It was definitely something I won’t forget,” said Wild.

The mother-daughter duo do not have the most traditional of relationships, having to keep in contact over the past year with the help of Skype, email, and a little luck. Despite occasional check-ins, both express how much they missed having the other by their side, taking part in “normal” activities, such as shopping or hitting the salon.

“When I went to Homecoming, not having her around to pick out dresses or help me get ready was hard. I missed her,” said Wild.

Even as Wild and her mom laughed through their tears, the past year was anything but a joke for the two. Being away from your loved ones and familiarity for so long can take its toll.

“I missed her so much. I’m still a mother. I’m a soldier, but I’m still a mom,” said Misek.

The reunion was watched by a plethora of students, unexpectedly eating their lunches, and breaking out in jubilant applause at the sight of Wild and her mom. The two were locked in a tearful embrace and surrounded by the clicks of cameras from every angle. A gleeful Wild, taking in having her mom seated beside her, had some advice for those that are waiting for their loved ones to safely come back home.

“Just remember, it’s not forever. They’re coming back. Be hopeful.”