Q’s international quest

Saying Goodbye to the South Korea- Bound Teacher

Photo by: Heather Stewart

At last year’s Homecoming pep rally, Q embraced the entire student population before him. This pep rally is his last before he resigned as the sponsor of SCA in preparation for his last year at Potomac Falls.

The name “Q” is synonymous with Potomac Falls’ most charismatic staff member. Students, past and present, having been in a class of his or not, recognize the dapperly dressed Q roaming the halls, high-fiving everyone as he strides past. From the famous One Direction and Justin Bieber posters on his wall, to becoming the symbol of Panther pep rallies, he has walked his way into our memories and our hearts. In his last year at Potomac Falls, we will say goodbye to him as he heads out on his newest venture: teaching in South Korea.

Q, also known as David Quirin, is an English teacher here at PFHS, and a legend in his own right. His room, 226, is engraved in Potomac Falls history for its small size, yet constant activity. He is moving to South Korea, along with his wife Michelle Quirin, an assistant principal at Dominion High School, and son Liam, to teach at Korea International, an American prep school in Seoul.

“We’d been planning this for several years. Liam is now finally at the age where we can move forward with it,” said Q.

Q’s wife, Mrs. Quirin, will be the high school associate principal at the school and is aware of how difficult it will be to leave what has become their home. “Thinking about new adventures is totally invigorating; thinking about leaving is unbearable. We are so fortunate to live and work in Loudoun, and it’s so easy to take our incredibly supportive and enriched school system for granted,” said Mrs. Quirin.

Q, however, has yet to determine what he will be teaching. In the meantime, the Quirin family has been busy doing their research and decluttering their home for the changes already, a “For Sale” already prepared for their front lawn.

“We’ve most definitely have been looking at how things will be different, culturally, in Korea,” said Q.

The new geographic location of the family has also given the Quirins the opportunity to accomplish a few of their dreams: the trio will be headed to Bali, Indonesia, in September, having already made their travel arrangements during their Chuseok break in the school year. Chuseok is the harvest festival in South Korea, with a three-day holiday given in the eighth month of the year. “Knowing our first big trip is scheduled will ease my culture shock and homesickness,” said Mrs. Quirin.

Liam, Q’s son, currently in pre-school, will start his education at the same school his parents will be working at. “He can’t comprehend it yet. We’re trying to get him acclimated to the country shift. We point to where we’re going on the globe for him” said Q.

With an opportunity such as this one, Q  is well aware taking this next step will require him to leave only a legacy at Potomac Falls: “I’ll miss everything, from the students, to the teachers and the community, the luxury of having had this room for years,” said Q.

And with a new country comes the question of how Q will deal with the educational shift in teaching methods. He has already expressed his excitement at having 75 minute classes and rolling blocks, with no A or B days in sight.

“To quote Popeye: ‘I am who I am’. What makes my class what it is, is my approach to it. There may even be more freedom to do so,” said Q.

Although the new teaching positions attracted the Quirins to South Korea, it is also the exposure to a completely new lifestyle that has them anticipating their move. “I am really, no pun intended, fired up about the food. I can’t wait to try the crazy, exotic foods, like Kimchi” said Q.

The family will be moving to the suburbs, right outside of Seoul, which Q emphasizes is vastly different from living his entire life in the United States. Q is keen on the 21st century accommodations that will bring comfort to such a big move. Those modern conveniences, such as the Internet, allow for heavy Western influence in South Korea.

“Because of technology, the world has flattened out so much. The things that I may have missed from home a few years ago, I may not say now as a result. I’ll miss driving without the  craziness of traffic as well,” said Q.

In terms of reaching back out to PFHS, he mentioned his wishes for video chatting with classrooms here with his students in Seoul; however, the time difference would make that impossible. “There’s a time shift of 14 hours, which is one of the biggest shifts we’ll have to get used to,” said Q.

With the news of Q’s move came the outpouring of support and bittersweet comments from students and bypassers alike.“I will miss the way he [Q] had such an unorthodox method of teaching. His class was unlike any other, so comfortable and fun. I learned so much about English and life,” said senior Abi Nelson.

Many students will miss his humorous and eccentric attempts to make their day as great as he could.

“He always shouts ‘Xtina! What up, what up?’ at me from the other side of the hall. Never fails to make me laugh,” said senior Christina Guintu.

Although excited by such a large change, Q and Mrs. Quirin certainly feel the next step is a bittersweet one. “It’s a great time for us to move out of the comfort zone and see life through fresh eyes,” said Mrs. Quirin.

Leaving the school that has meant so much to him, Q is adamant that Potomac Falls will be with him, no matter where on the globe he ends up.

“There have been so many memories created in room 226, and I’ll be able to take those with me.”