Lofty goals

Girls soccer team looks to improve in a tougher conference

After a 6-9-1 record last season, the girls varsity soccer team is looking to improve during the 2014 season. This will be a difficult task for the program, as they make the transition into the newly formed Potomac Conference of the Dulles District. The team will be facing different and stiffer competition in teams such as Stone Bridge, who made it to the Regional Semi-Finals last season. There are multiple areas in which the team looks to improve.

“In general, we have to be a team on and off the field,” said senior Emily Printz.

Aside from the team as a whole having expectations heading into the season, freshman Gianna Torres has set goals for herself heading into the season.

“My goal was to make varsity,” said Torres.

Torres, a soccer player since the age of four, was confident about her odds after exceeding her own expectation of tryouts.

“I was nervous for the fitness parts of tryouts, but they ended being easier than I thought,” said Torres.

Although Printz is a returning member to the varsity team, like Torres, she has goals for herself as well as the team.

“It’s pretty simple, we need to win more games,” said Printz.

This season, the Panthers look to improve their record with depth at the goaltending position. Uncharacteristically, three goaltenders have made the varsity roster. Junior goalies Elizabeth O’Connell and Sydney Sherman will share time in goal with sophomore goalkeeper Olivia Camera.

“Teams don’t usually carry three goalies; they usually carry a third that can play an alternate field position. I think that will be my role,” said O’Connell.

After the Panthers finished three games under a .500 winning percentage after losing in the first round of the District Tournament, Printz looks to help the team improve by setting an example as a senior leadership position.

“I’m excited to potentially be a leader or captain,” said Printz.

Leadership and experience paired with depth at the goalie positions will be central pieces to a successful, improved season this year. Seniors will need to step up as leaders, like Printz, and a younger supporting cast to learn from the example set by the older group.

The Panthers open up against a new conference foe at Sherando High School on March 17. The team looks to prove itself in its first home match again against their new foes, Sherando, on March 26 at 7 p.m. The Panthers square off with their rivals, the Titans of Dominion High School, at home on Friday, April 4.