On a “paw-sitive” note

Sophomores fundraise to support local animal rescue

As a relatively new school tradition, each class organizes a big fundraiser for charity, called the Panther Project.  This year, the class of 2016 is taking a soft, furry approach to their Panther Project, and will be fundraising and collecting supplies for the “Cause for Paws” animal hospice in Bolivar, WV.

Cause for Paws is a non-profit, no-kill animal rescue for handicapped, severely sick, injured, and homeless cats and dogs run completely by volunteers.  Barbara Birney started the organization fifteen years ago, and has been running it by herself ever since.   Birney runs the hospice without accepting any assistance from the government, so it is vital that the sophomores receive sufficient donations to keep the non-profit going.  Sophomore class secretary Mark Mogensen has been helping to organize the event and promoting it on the morning announcements.

“There are over 60 animals there [the Cause for Paws rescue center] so we’re doing everything we can [collecting supplies and fundraising] to help out,” said Mogensen.

The group organizing the sophomore fundraiser is the Sophomore Advisory Board.  The advisory boards of each grade level are responsible for planning events and fundraisers specific to their grade level.  Additionally, the members volunteer at class events.

“We have a connection through Mr. Owens, our sponsor; he knows the lady who runs it,” said Mogensen.

Angelique Arintok is the sophomore class communications manager, and her job is to send members meeting and fundraiser updates through email and social media throughout the year.

“When Devin, our president, brought it up at the meeting I was pretty happy about it, and a lot of people are willing to help out the animals, so it’s a good idea,” said Arintok.

For those interested in helping out, the sophomore class is collecting paper towels, cat food, cat litter, dog food, clorox, styrofoam plates, and welcomes any other cat or dog supplies students are willing to donate.

The sophomore class also raised money for Cause for Paws by a hosting a Chick-Fil-A fundraiser Tuesday, Feb. 24 from which they received fifteen percent of the proceeds.  It is important that students support all the Panther Projects not just that of their specific grade level, so be sure to donate supplies and help this excellent cause.