Keeping track…of track

A look at the upcoming track season

Tryouts are an integral part of any sport, regardless of season.  Pressures to perform are high, and students take tryouts seriously, as they decide whether or not one makes a team.  However, one sport is unique in that it does not have tryouts or cuts.  Instead, people pull themselves out, signalling its difficulty.

That sport is track and veteran senior Matt Celsa knows all too well how difficult the sport can be for people.

“We don’t have cuts.  I’ve run track for four years, and I’ve seen that instead, most people just decide to cut themselves from the team, or just stop doing it if they decide they just can’t do it,” said Celsa.  However, this has not deterred people from signing up to run track.

“Most people do cut themselves, but we always have a lot of people.  This year we have around 70, but last year it was even more,” said sophomore John Phan.

Whether or not students can keep up with the rigorous practices of the track team, however, is another matter entirely.

“The first day, we had a two mile time trial.  After that, we do team workouts before splitting up into our events.  We also do a lot of long runs,” said Celsa.  Many students also choose to prepare on their own for track, so that when spring comes, they will have an advantage.  This highlights the dedication required to succeed at the sport, something that even exceeds the dedication that other sports require.

“To prepare myself, I went to winter conditioning and practiced in the offseason with Coach Null,” said Phan.  Students like Phan have increased motivation to practice due to previous occurrences.

“As a freshman I got hurt, so this year, I’m hoping it’s my redemption year,” said Phan.

Other students work just as hard, simply due to a love of the sport.  Thus, they take their dedication to the next level.

“I met with Coach Null, ran Cross Country in fall, ran in the winter, and lifted weights,” said Celsa.

Such intensity is possible because of the goals set by members of the team, which again, vary from person to person.  Nevertheless, they serve as a driving force for everyone, regardless of what they are.

“I really don’t want to get injured again this year,” said Phan.  Others are more immediately concerned with results, and the ambition shows.

“I want to run a 9:30 for the 3200 meter, a 4:25 for the 1600 meter, and I want to make all state for the 3200 meter,” said Celsa, highlighting just how determined to succeed this team really is.