Editorial: The price of freedom

What seniors have to go through to get exam exemptions

If there is one thing that a senior looks forward to at the end of the year, it is being exempt from final exams. However, to be able enjoy this freedom, one must meet the rigid set of guidelines set by the county.

One of the conditions set by the county is that a student should not miss more than two classes throughout the semester. Of course exceptions are made for some cases such as college visits or a death in the family. But, what happens when a sick student who wants to be exempt from taking exams comes to school? Like a scene from Contagion, viruses and illnesses run rampant through the halls. Why should a student, who is ill, be forced to jump through hoops to take a test?

While some teachers may excuse a senior for their absences if they are discussed, other are not so kind.  Aside from suspension and in-school restriction, all other unexcused absences are left up to the discretion of the teacher. For example, if a student wanted to go on an extended vacation to visit family, they would have to discuss it with all of their teachers before they left.

Class time that is lost can also be made up in FLEX. Seniors have the option of staying during FLEX even if they have early release. If they were to miss a class, they have the ability to learn the information that they missed. Also, along with this new thing called email, teachers and students can easily communicate and coordinate when they plan on making up the material.

A thing that is new this year is that some teachers require students to do at least 70 percent of their homework to be considered for exam exemptions. I understand that a student still needs to know the material in order for them to not take exams, but in reality, who does homework anymore? As long as they are able to maintain a 70 percent, it shouldn’t matter whether they are keeping up with the busy work.

All in all, I don’t think students should be forced to take a test that does not even accurately gauge their understanding of a subject. Some counties in Northern Virginia have done away with required midterm exams. Final exams test memorization rather than understanding, and to risk a students health for such a petty cause is an abomination.