Road to the O-Lin-pics

William Lin’s dream of representing America in the Olympics

The Olympic gymnast Shannon Miller once said, “At the Olympics, you are there to do a job. I feel you should take it seriously. You should be respectful. You are putting on the red-white-and-blue and going out there to perform for your country. “This is the goal of hundreds of athletes across America and the world; to have the honor of representing your country at the Olympics is an unequivocally prestigious opportunity. This is the dream of junior William Lin, who hopes to compete in the 2018 or future Olympics.

His freshman and sophomore year, Lin dominated the district title on Potomac Falls Varsity swim team. The swim veteran of eight years now trains with the hopes of representing the U.S. and fulfilling a dream he has had since age ten. Lin started swimming on a summer league for two seasons and most enjoys the self perseverance it requires; however, balancing a life of a dedicated swimmer and student is not an easy task.

“I try to be as efficient as I can in everything I do. I have a calendar on my phone that I use to keep track of all my activities, like honor societies and clubs and all, and I try to plan around what I have on there. With 5 APs this year, I have to really make sure I priorities my assignments, saving the ones that should take the least amount of time for last or possibly in the morning before it’s due. I also pick activities that I am actually interested in, so I have a motivation to make time for them,” said Lin.

Few know what a typical day in the life of an Olympic athlete involves. As an Olympic hopeful, Lin wakes up before sunrise for his weekday 5 a.m. swim practice at Claude Moore. “Practice typically runs until 7:30 a.m. On Sundays I have practice either at 6-9, or 9-11. In addition there are practices at 2:30-5:30 everyday in Tysons Corner that I attend when my coach asks me to go out to them,” said Lin. His work doesn’t stop there. Practice gets even more intense during winter’s swim season at Potomac Falls.

“I add an additional practice three days a week ,two of which are 45 minutes, one is one and a half hours in the afternoon from 5:45-6:30, 7:15-8, or 8-9:30. My out of pool training, dry land workouts or going to the gym are three times a week March through October for 45 minutes to one and a half hours . From November through February I do quick, short home workouts for about 30 minutes a day,” said Lin. Luckily, his family is very supportive of Lin’s hectic schedule.

“I’ve wanted this since I was ten. Since then, because now that I am actually training towards possibly making the team, they have trusted me to push myself. I think they reacted the same way any parent does when they have a small child who says they want to do something that is huge, like become a millionaire. They wanted me to succeed, but they also wanted to be ready for me to fail if that happened,” said Lin. Having to focus and still remain dedicated through dozens of hours of practice isn’t easy. It requires a plethora of self-discipline.

“Before a meet, I try to zone out and think of nothing. I imagine a black hole and being surrounded by blackness without hearing or seeing anything,” said Lin. Qualification for the Olympics requires one to qualify for Olympic trials, then place top two nationally in those trials.

William Lin Infographic

Matt McLean is a Potomac Falls High School alumni who won a Gold medal for swimming at the 2013 London Olympics; McLean’s younger brother, junior Sam McLean, currently swims with Lin. “It was so surreal,” said Sam, “it was like weird because someone you grew up with is really doing something and going places.” Sam broke his McLean’s Virginia High School League record for relay swim on February 22nd at the 2013-2014 state competition. “[Lin is] a great swimmer and really hard worker. He’s training with one of the best coaches too,” said Sam. Lin and Sam are currently coached by McLean’s former assistant coach Robbie Robins, who trained under him for about three years. McLean serves as an inspiration for Lin.

“I thought, ‘Hey, someone from [PFHS] can actually make it,’” said Lin of his favorite “hometown Olympian.” McLean won the 2005 and 2006 state title in the 200-yard freestyle while a student at Potomac Falls, and still holds the Virginia High School League record for his 2006 win. Lin, on a similar trail, won four regional titles his freshman year in 2011. While McLean is the first Loudoun County Public Schools student to make it to the Olympics, he may not be the last with Lin in the pool; Lin has already talked to a few scouts and plans on swimming in college for the National Collegiate Athletic Association. “I only wish swimming was as popular all the time as it is during the summer Olympics and when Michael Phelps swims. The high school team also needs some support from our student body,” said Lin. The support of Lin’s team and development of relationships through swim has also shaped him as an athlete.

“To be honest, I would say many of my best friends I have met through swimming. The people I meet through swimming connect with me at a different level. We are able to bond over our sportsmanship as well as our other similarities. From awkwardly saying good job after losing to the other, or vice versa, I think my relationships have grown to friendships that I can count on to be there through college and ones that I will be able to recall, long after I have graduated,” said Lin.