I’m with the band

A look at the lives of the PFHS marching band members

When people think of a marching band, they think of the Friday football games, pep rallies, costumes, and the August band camp practices at unholy hours. Most of us, however, do not realize the full extent of the marching band’s efforts.  The PFHS marching band, led by band director Tim Niebergall, works countless hours to put on an incredible show and set the tone for our Friday night lights.  The group also competes in rigorous competitions over the course of the year.

Marching band members put in around eight hours of work per week just in practice, and six hours for the guard.  These figures don’t even include late-night football games and competitions, which can be twelve hour days for the people involved.

Band means something different to everyone that participates.  Freshman Autumn Torretta plays clarinet and  is new to the marching band, but she has already fallen in love with it.

“Band is my life; that’s really it. Marching band means family and it’s everything,” said Torretta.

Every member seems to experience a special closeness during the season.  Senior Rio Arias plays the mellophone, a marching version of the french horn, and has been a part of the band since her freshman year.

“I love belonging to something and having all these people that I’ll be able to see in school. It’s really cool because we’re all in different grades. When I was a freshman, suddenly I knew all these older people before school even started,” said Arias.

For other band members, the experience is about leadership.  Junior Logan Rice plays the Euphonium, but also takes on a leadership role.

“[My favorite part is] being a drill-leader; I can tell people what to do and where to get their spots,” said Rice.

The more theatrical side of marching band is the color guard.  This group actually starts sectional practice before the rest of the band in mid-June, and participates in the August band camp as well.

Sophomore Zoe Hart is a member of the color guard. For her, guard is about the satisfaction of staying together and “nailing that toss.”

“Just not being afraid to stick out, and making friends,” said Hart when asked what band meant to her.

One thing that all band and guard members appear to have in common is their love and respect for Mr. Niebergall.

“Mr. N. does everything: he arranges our music, he writes our show. A lot of schools don’t have band teachers who know how to do everything, so we’re really lucky he does,” said Arias.

Band members say that Mr. Niebergall’s trick to perfecting the routines of so many is his blunt honesty, as well as his sense of humor.

The one downside to this activity is that many students involved feel than non-band members do not understand the extent of what it takes to be in marching band.

“A lot of people think you’re just marching with your instrument, but so much more goes into that,” said Tornetta.

What three words would sophomore Kat Strakovsky use to describe her guard experience?

“Confusing, exciting, and adrenaline-inducing,” said Strakovsky.