Captain Curtis

The new Sergeant-at-Arms captivates the student body

Curtis is explaining the games to the crowd of students. He ran across the floor exciting the whole gym.

The Sergeant-at-Arms role is one that requires a charismatic and outgoing individual.  Their role is to be the conductor of each of the pep rallies.  Games have to be explained, chants have to be led, and most importantly, the students must be excited.

Last year, alumnus Robert Smith led the student filled gymnasium to four rompous pep rallies. From taking each section on a roller coaster ride to starting the “We are… Panthers” chant, Smith took on the role with passion and love for his school.

Senior Charlie Curtis was voted last year to be the one with the microphone.  On Sept. 5, 2014, Curtis led his first pep rally.

“I was extremely nervous. I was afraid I was going to mess up,” said Curtis.  His nerves may come as a surprise because he seemed like a veteran out on the court, coordinating and narrating the festivities.

Curtis could be seen running up and down the court in his Student Council Association tie-dye shirt and sporting a West Virginia University baseball hat.  His energy was contagious and got just about every student in the gym ready for some games that were conceived this summer.

Curtis needed a way to get himself ready right before the pep rally.

“I chugged two NOSs right before I went out to get me ready,” said Curtis, “ I also listened to some Kanye [West], My Time [Fabolous], and J. Cole to get me pumped up.”

In terms of the actual event, Curtis is optimistic but knows there is room to improve.

“I felt like I could have done better, slowed down a bit, but I did alright,” said Curtis

Anything done well needs practice. Practicing to lead a pep rally is different from practicing a sport, something Curtis is used to.  He may have been a little out of his element while rehearsing for the big event.

“I practiced in the gym with mic for a little bit. It was kind of awkward, but I got used to it.” said Curtis,“ I also had to practice in front of strangers outside of Cold Stone when SCA went after a team-building trip.”

The whole student body will be ready for another performance from Curtis come time for the Homecoming pep rally.

“This is me. Time to step up,” said Curtis.

Expect Curtis to improve his transitions, moving from one event to the next, and slowing down to make the games more clear for everyone.

“Tomorrow’s pep rally is going to have a twist,” said Curtis, “it’s going to be a surprise.”