Common stress

The realities of college applications

Common stress

Photo by: unknown

Many seniors claim to be victimized by “senioritis”, but not before they must fill out the applications taking them into the next chapter of their lives.  The college application process has become somewhat of a christening for high school seniors. A year before students may have not even known what the Common Application was, but now some are flying through the process.

“[The application process] wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be,” said senior Bryce Eckman, “everyone on twitter last year was talking about how long it takes, but it wasn’t that bad.”

College applications have become a notorious pain in the back for the many semi-checked out seniors, but it is a necessary process.

“Watching my sister go through it, it didn’t look fun, but I know it’s something you have to do,” said junior Tommy Hardman. Having not gone through the process yet, Hardman has a couple expectations for the applications.

“I’m definitely scared of the essays. I just hope there aren’t that many,” said Hardman.

“The essays” are what typically intimidate the students. Some schools such as Virginia Commonwealth University have multiple essays they have the applicant while other schools like University of South Carolina Columbia only have one essay for the applicant.

The stress of the applications can mount especially when school work gets compounded on top of them.

“My best advice would definitely know where you want to apply in the summer so then you can just jump right into when school starts,” said senior Mariana Brazao, “Once school work starts piling up it gets tough doing both college applications and school.”

Although application season can be a stressful time for seniors, there are some features to this process that help ease the strain. Different deadline dates help students spread out their applications instead of having to do all of them in a short period of time. There is also the Common Application.

“It allows you to apply to multiple schools at once so that saves a lot of time,” said senior Stephen Brager.

The college application season is in full swing and hopeful students are sending off their scores and transcripts. Do not let the applications pile up and think through the essays. We can all get through this.