Are You Still Watching Netflix?

Enough is Never Enough

At young age most parents tell their children “Don’t watch too much television!”. Our parents had good reason as some studies have shown that watching excessive amounts of television links to obesity in children. Six out of ten children who have a television set in their bedrooms are more likely to gain access weight than children who don’t according to research done at Harvard.

However, as the years pass, parents allow teens to make more of their own decisions on how to spend time. Most teenagers spend a vast majority of time in front of a monitor.More specifically Netflix. In 2013, Netflix recorded 33.1 million subscribers in the United States and 50 million worldwide. Everyone who has experienced Netflix can see the appeal, but some of the Netflix users can’t pinpoint the reason for their addictions.

“It’s just always there for me. It’s better than people.” said senior Raven Ingram.

Netflix is great for binge watching and with only 30 seconds it can be a difficult decision to stop watching before Netflix automatically plays the next episode, it is a really hard decision to make. This very little time for decision making causes addicts, like senior Paul Behrends,  to feed their addictions.

“It’s never ending, and it automatically plays the next episode and I’m too lazy to get up off my bed and turn off the TV.” said Behrends.

Another great asset to Netflix is that it is mobile. Netflix, along with other entertainment services such as Hulu, can be streamed to any laptop or mobile device, which allows for endless hours of watching. For sophomore Mayzie Rosberg the amount of time she spends on Netflix even astounds even her. Like how she spent  “An entire weekend.” binge watching some of her favorite tv shows like Hemlock Grove.

Netflix also provides an assortment of television shows that are “Netflix Originals”. Most Netflix- addicts love some of the television shows that they have created .

“I love watching ‘Orange is the New Black’,” said freshmen Nayeli Hernandez.

However, when is enough enough? Freshman Jonathan Parham,  might say when it comes to Netflix enough is never enough.

“Never”, said  Parham.

For sophomore Kerem Proulx the only way he knows that he has watched enough is“When my eyes burn from the screen.”

For junior Christian Hyde its difficult to stop watching because “It’s all right there.”