The Freshman Hallway Will Look FABulous

The freshmen officers and advisory board (FAB) prepare their hallway for homecoming week

This year, the freshman will be decorating the math hallway, in the lower level of the school. Every year, each grade chooses a theme to decorate their hallway  that matches the schoolwide theme which this year is sports. Freshman class president, Nick Haddad thinks the freshman got the best theme, March Madness.

“It’s good because then, we can have multiple different sections sections and enough [decorations] for each section so the judges will think [that] this is different than all the other ones because it has multiple things,” said Haddad. He later said that the themes that each class chose surprised him; he thought they would end up with a less popular theme.

The theme, March Madness, was divided into five sections: the living room of a family home, the tailgate section of a sporting event, the locker room of a stadium, and the basketball court, where there will be a mock basketball game played. Freshmen, including treasurer, John Le, think these sections will give them the creative edge they need to beat the juniors.

“I really hope the judges see our creative idea and how much work was put into it,” said Le.

It was later said that freshmen who are in Freshman Advisory Board (FAB), and freshmen who are not on FAB, could come to school from six to eight in the morning during homecoming week to help with decorating. In addition, they can come in after school from four to six in the afternoon.  

For freshman class secretary, Grace Hyde, hallway decorating is more than just decorating a hallway. Hyde uses being secretary as a bridge to help people decorate the hallways in a way they otherwise wouldn’t be able to.

“It makes it easier [to help people] because they know to contact me and they know, like, who I am,” said Hyde.

There have been several complaints about the theme but Hyde likes it. She also added that people aren’t giving reasons to complain, they’re just complaining to complain. Freshman class vice president, Pablo Vasquez is also excited about the theme.  

FAB member, Kathleen Pollard, has been working hard over the weekends and is proud of her work. She helped make basketball jerseys out of paper and paint and thinks it will be a success. Pollard is a big supporter of the theme and thinks it was a good choice.

“I love it because basketball is, like, a main sport and almost everyone loves basketball,” said Pollard. She later added that the freshmen have been working incredibly hard.

“Sometimes they have fun, and then they get back to work,” said Pollard. When asked if there was anything she’d like to add, Pollard commented on how she thinks “freshmen are going to win.”  

The freshmen have put many hours and effort into making their hallway stand out. Freshman class sponsor, Ms. Marion Clark, can testify to this:

“They’re doing well. They split the hall up into sections, as I just explained, and they have a committee responsible for each section. And students have been showing up to each section and making sure it’s decorated. And they’ve just been doing a lot of teamwork,” said Clark.