You’re a Good School Potomac Falls

What’s going on in the spring musical

After the success that came from “Game of Tiaras”, Elizabeth Deker has planned a musical to blow that out of the water. This year’s spring musical will be “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown”.

“This is a much more family friendly show, it’s much more cheerful. I think it’s going to appeal to a different type of audience. It’s super fun, super cute. So anyone, whether they’re five-years-old or 50, or anywhere in between is going to enjoy this play,” said Deker.

Though rolls haven’t been assigned yet, many actors and actresses are hoping to be able to have the chance to perform in this production. This includes freshman Grace Shields, who has been involved in many productions since she was eight. She had a minor role in “Game of Tiaras” and is hoping to make it into the ensemble in the musical. Freshman Zora Grace is also hoping to get a spot as Lucy, but she does not have the experience of “Game of Tiaras” like Shields does.

“I was just starting high school so I didn’t want to have a lot of stress at the beginning of the year. I do like productions though, that’s why I’m trying out for this one,” said Grace.

This is sophomore Emily Clemm’s first tryout for a production at Potomac Falls as well, though she was in musicals in seventh and eighth grade. She doesn’t really have a specific role in mind, but she is excited to the prospect of performing in a musical in high school.

“It’ll be a lot better quality here, it might be cooler to be part of something more advanced,” said Clemm.

Sophomore Henry Bride does have experience in drama in high school, but he worked behind the curtains in the tech crew since freshman year. Being in “Game of Tiaras” gave him a taste of the stage, but he doesn’t know how that will affect this performance since this is his first musical as an actor. He hopes that being in drama in high school will help him with his future career.

“I’ve always wanted to get into a career in entertainment, so I figured this would be a good place to start,” said Bride.

On the other side of the curtain, working things like lights and sound, as well as building sets, is the tech crew. Without these students, none of the productions would be possible. Junior Austin Harber is one of the students involved in the tech crew and has a very important job in making sure that productions run smoothly.

“I am the lighting designer for the shows. I arrange the lights, change the bulbs, wire them and then program them into the board. Then I present them for the show,” said Harber.

He does have help from assistants and other students, which he has experienced through all his years in high school. In seventh grade he began to help with the behind-the-scenes work of plays, this helped him get involved in “Game of Tiaras” and other plays. Though he does enjoy working on productions, there are some undesirable factors.

“Sometimes the people get in the way, sometimes scaffolding, staying until 10 p.m. some days sucks,” said Harber.

Sophomore David Gimon will be experiencing all of these things for the first time this year. He enjoys musicals, but doesn’t like to sing, so he decided that joining tech crew would be perfect for him. Though he has never been on tech crew, he did take the technical theater class last as well as getting involved in Tech Saturdays.

“Anyone can show up. You basically help build the set, work the sound systems, [set up] the lights, anything really,” said Gimon.

This production seems to have everyone very excited and the actors are looking forward to working on it. Since “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown” is so family-oriented, the musical will be toured to local elementary schools. Deker is looking forward to this since there appears to be many strong performers that tried out. Some are a bit concerned since the style of this productions is so different from “Game of Tiaras”.

“”Game of Tiaras” was a more modern, contemporary parody, more modern humor. So I don’t know if we’ll have a bigger turnout on Charlie Brown. This is a bigger production and there’s more efficacious on the musical. There might be more children attracted to Charlie Brown. I think it will make a profit, but either way I’ll have fun on it,” said Harber.