SPRING SPORTS PREVIEW: JV BASEBALL

Stepping on deck, Freshman Andrew Gerhart warms up for his next at-bat. The JV Baseball team won their first game against Dominion Last Night Photo submitted by: Andrew Gerhart

As spring approaches, coaches and players on the junior varsity baseball team prepare for another season of America’s favorite pastime. Many players on the team are freshman like Andrew Gerhart. While Gerhart is new to Potomac Falls, he is not new to baseball, having played the sport for seven years.
“My favorite part of playing baseball is the game pressure, you only have one at-bat, with only one chance to hit that pitch,” said Gerhart.
Gerhart is the catcher for the team, which is a very important position.
“I like it because you are kind of like the quarterback,” said Gerhart.
JV head coach Adam Jensen has been coaching for seven years. He has a good feeling about this year’s team. What they lack in age, they make up for in hard work. Last year the team had a record of 8-10. This year, coach Jensen hopes to be above .500, having more wins more than losses. Jensen is looking forward to seeing the camaraderie of his team, with his main goal to prepare them for varsity.
“Varsity has 10 seniors this year, and some of those [JV] guys are going to have to step up and fill big roles next year,” said Jensen.
The biggest challenge for the JV team, according to the coach, is going to be pitching.
“If we get a lot of rain and we have to play three or four games a week, we have to make sure everyone pitches right, because you can only pitch so many inning a week,” said Jensen.
Wes Jamison, a pitcher in his junior year who has played since he was 5 years old.
“Even though he’s a junior on JV, he is going to pitch for us every opportunity he can, and that’s why he’s down there with us,” said Jensen.
“I’ve had a good arm ever since I was kid,” said Jamison.
Jamison hopes to move up to Varsity by the end of the season.
“Hopefully we can make it to the State Championship this year, or at least win the conference, we have a really good team this year with a lot of seniors” said Jamison.
With injuries for two seasons in a row, Jamison is hoping to stay injury-free this season. He plans to do this by treating his injuries as soon as they first occur.
“When something feels off, I’ll tell the coach and not try to push through it like I did last year,” said Jamison.
Coach Jensen says that the key games that students should attend are the games against Dominion, Stone Bridge, and Broad Run. Jensen also believes that the Millbrook games will be exciting.
“We play them for the first time, so that will be interesting,” said Jensen.

Key games:
Dominion 4/11/16 at 6PM (home)
Stone Bridge 4/14/16 at 6 PM (home) 5/3/16 at 6PM (away)
Broad run 4/5/16 at 6PM (home) 4/29/16 at 6PM (away)
Millbrook 3/31/16 at 6PM (away) 4/8/16 at 6Pm (home)

For the complete JV Baseball schedule, click here.

http://potomacfallsathletics.org/main/team/id/20850